Restoring email

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Restoring email

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi,
I have been using mailwasher for years, currently using latest version. Recently I needed to restore a email from the recycle bin on mailwasher. I highlighted the email in the list and clicked restore email. I then got a box saying the restored email was being sent to my email address. The email is not restored and never arrives. This has always worked in past. I have not made any changes to mailwasher.

Any advice in getting deleted emails restored would be much appreciated.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Re: Restoring email

Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:58 am

Recheck all your settings. It's possible that a setting was inadvertently changed. Also, using your email client, try sending yourself a test msg via that same smtp server to confirm that the server is still OK.
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 am

I have rechecked all my settings and as far as I can see they are OK. I have sent a test message by same SMTP server which I received. I am however still unable to receive restored messages from Mailwashers recycle bin. Any other ideas??
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:42 am

Hi,

I have changed the email account which will send & receive the restored messages and have got it to work. I would be most obliged if someone in the know could help me set up my recycle bin to send & receive restored messages from my gmail account. Many thanks in advance
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:13 am

Search here for many posts with all the details on setting MW up to use gmail, I've posted several.

Short version go to gmail settings, enable pop, go to configure mail program, click other, put the settings found there (including the advanced ones) into MW and it will send your messages.

edit: Try this one: http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?p=4415#p4415
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:43 am

Mailwasher is correctly set up to receive emails from gmail and it does this without issue, I am talking about getting mailwasher to restore emails via gmail
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:08 am

All of the settings I mentioned are for sending mail, here is a copy and paste of the info.

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:29 am

stan_qaz wrote:All of the settings I mentioned are for sending mail, here is a copy and paste of the info.

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587
Hi
Thanks for the info. I have tried those settings and I still do not receive the restored email. I get a box saying the restored email was being sent to my email address. but the email is not restored and never arrives. I have also tried using the smtp server for the email address that I know I can receive restored email from but using my gmail address. This also does the same thing. No error messages
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:53 am

Might be time to look at the MW log of the attempt to send the message.

Go to Help, About in MW, click the link (opens an explorer window) then tick the box for logging and close the about box. Now restore one e-mail and check for a socketlog in the explorer window. It should give you more information on the message being sent. You could post it here if you have questions, XXXX lut any personal info first.
--
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:49 am

stan_qaz wrote:Might be time to look at the MW log of the attempt to send the message.

Go to Help, About in MW, click the link (opens an explorer window) then tick the box for logging and close the about box. Now restore one e-mail and check for a socketlog in the explorer window. It should give you more information on the message being sent. You could post it here if you have questions, XXXX lut any personal info first.
Here is the report, I cannot understand it
Attachments
SocketLog300.pdf
(18.79 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 pm

It sure looks like the to address was accepted and the whole message was accepted for delivery, the 250.xxx line just after the to address was sent and the one at the end after the "." line. The Gmail status messages differ from the following example but the codes are the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mai ... r_Protocol

Have you checked your spam folder to see if it got caught there or it it got deleted by a gmail filter?

If nothing else you could mail that log to the gmail support folks and ask what happened to the message if nobody here comes up with another idea.

Anybody else have any suggestions?
--
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:33 pm

Nothing in the spam folder
wickerwoman
Mystified Moa

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:14 am

I have all the same issues as the above poster. Checked with my ISP to make sure both outgoing and incoming POP3 server and SMPT are correct, checked all my accounts and settings in Outlook Express, checked the blacklist and friends lists and STILL CANNOT RESTORE DELETED EMAILS. How frustrating, at my wits end!
greshoff
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:31 am

I still have not resolved this issue, I don't know what else to try. Very frustrating
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:30 am

What might work for both of you is to send an email to support at firetrust and include a complete debug log that shows an attempt to restore a message followed by a mail check of the account the message was to have been restored to.

The instructions on what to include and the contact address are here, below the clock:

http://www.firetrust.com/support/mailwasher-pro
--

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”