Still shows mail after it's been downloaded

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
Glenn
Rattled Rabbit

Still shows mail after it's been downloaded

Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Mailwasher 2011

When I download email to outlook mailwasher still shows it after checking mail again , the email I download should not appear again when I check mail in mailwasher, probably a small setting but I cant find it.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Still shows mail after it's been downloaded

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:47 pm

You posted in the general tech forum:
Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs
Try here for MW 2011 issues: http://forum.firetrust.com/viewforum.php?f=50

Look at your mail program's leave mail on server option. If you can't find it this question has been answered with more detail in the 2011 forum, can't be more help as I don't use Outlook.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
Glenn
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Googled it so this is for anyone else that might need it -
Update: Just found out Outlook 2010 has the option checked by default to leave a copy of the messages on the servers for 14 days. To disable this option, Click on the File Tab, Account Settings..., Account Settings. Double click on your account, click More Settings button, Advanced Tab, Uncheck leave copy of messages on server.
trex3106
It begins with a single step

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:53 pm

thanks for the info...same problem with my email client...
Avid internet user during spare time
F5VKU
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 am

I have followed the threads on this topic, and the suggestion is that I should untick the 'leave mail on server box'. (That was difficult to find!)

Well it is unticked, but I still have MWP showing the mail after it has been downloaded.

I am using Outlook 2007, running under Vista.

Any other ideas?

John
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:54 am

MW only shows mail that is on your server so if you do a mail-check in MW it will update the mail grid removing all messages that are no longer there and adding any new ones that arrive. This update only happens if you do a mail-check so you will still see old mail in your MW grid until you do a manual check or a timed one kicks off after your mail program has downloaded and removed messages.

If MW is still showing mail that your mail program downloaded but failed to delete then you need to do a manual mark and delete in MW to clean out the mess your mail client has made and then things should go back to working as they did before your mail program settings got changed.

A suggestion would be to change to a mail program that MS doesn't alter the settings on when you are forced to update your system software.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “General Tech. Help”