Original Mailwasher 64bit version?

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
twl845
Travelling Tuatara

Original Mailwasher 64bit version?

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi, I'm using v6.5.4 MW in my Win XP 32bit pc. I am awaiting delivery of a Win7 64bit pc and would appreciate it if you can tell me if I can run my MW in 64 bit. Thanks. I haven't checked yet, but does the new MW have a 64 bit version? :)
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Original Mailwasher 64bit version?

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:16 pm

No unfortunately MailWasher won't run natively as 64bit. There's no real gains for us to do so but considerable work, so I'm not even sure it's something that we may ever get around to doing.

MailWasher can be built in 64bit with a simple flag, but the issue lies with the DLLs we use that are only 32bit. Trying to call 32bit DLLs from a 64bit application isn't pretty and can cause more load as you have to layer in different communication methods.

It's one of those, 'would be nice to do but is it really worth it' changes :)
twl845
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:26 pm

rusticdog wrote:No unfortunately MailWasher won't run natively as 64bit. There's no real gains for us to do so but considerable work, so I'm not even sure it's something that we may ever get around to doing.

MailWasher can be built in 64bit with a simple flag, but the issue lies with the DLLs we use that are only 32bit. Trying to call 32bit DLLs from a 64bit application isn't pretty and can cause more load as you have to layer in different communication methods.

That's too bad. If you consider that every new pc is loaded with 64 bit, how long will it be before most pc's are 64 bit? Four years maybe after most people today will eventually replace their 32 bit pc's. Where will that leave you with your 32 bit only MW? :cry
dinkydragon
Mystified Moa

Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:27 am

twl845 wrote:
rusticdog wrote:No unfortunately MailWasher won't run natively as 64bit. There's no real gains for us to do so but considerable work, so I'm not even sure it's something that we may ever get around to doing.

That's too bad. If you consider that every new pc is loaded with 64 bit, how long will it be before most pc's are 64 bit? Four years maybe after most people today will eventually replace their 32 bit pc's. Where will that leave you with your 32 bit only MW? :cry
Hi rusticdog, being a MW Pro user since nearly it's conception and thru the various Window reincarnation I am disappointed in what I have just read. :crazy and I echo what twl845 said above. I will add tho:

I came to the forum also to seek advice on running MW Pro in Win7 Ultimate 64bit, as I am sure I would have some issues. I was not expecting the statement that you won't be supporting 64bit. I appreciate the issues that may be involved but I too see 32bit pc's fading out as faster pc's come on-stream (my new system being Hex core (6 core AMD) while that is irrelevant as far as Mailwasher Pro goes there will come a time when 32bit is surpassed by 64bit.

Reading on another site they cover limitations of 32bit progs with some workarounds I don't know if it helps or relevant to others but will leave it here. I am not a techy so those better than I will know doubt pipe-up :) http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2011/0 ... lications/ it covers Compatibility mode and Virtual Machine as possible workarounds.

I swear by Mailwasher it gives peace of mind, to me there's nothing better, I am not looking forward to having to do without it.

While I could keep a separate pc purely for email it's not an ideal option in this energy conscious era we find ourselves in, plus physically for me it's restrictive too.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:08 am

twl845 wrote:I am awaiting delivery of a Win7 64bit pc and would appreciate it if you can tell me if I can run my MW in 64 bit.
Oh yes, it does - like all other 32-bit programs, it does run very well on a 64-bit architecture.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
twl845
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:03 am

TrustFire wrote:
twl845 wrote:I am awaiting delivery of a Win7 64bit pc and would appreciate it if you can tell me if I can run my MW in 64 bit.
Oh yes, it does - like all other 32-bit programs, it does run very well on a 64-bit architecture.
My last post was in April as you can see above. At that time I was told it's a no go for 64x. A few weeks later I took delivery of my new 64x computer, and haven't had Mailwasher since. I have discovered since then that MW isn't really necessary with the other malware and virus mail scanners on my new computer. My Outlook drops suspicious mail into the Junk mail, failing that my anti-malware app blocks suspicious mail, and if mail has a virus, that gets blocked by my AV app. If I'm really feeling paranoid I can activate my virtual app. and it's free.
dinkydragon
Mystified Moa

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:55 am

TrustFire wrote:
Hi TrustFire, am I to understand your using it on on 64bit? if so anything to look out for or is it just straight forward like any other install, apologies if my questions are lame just trying to prepare everything for changover, I hate disrupting things that are working fine, but this change is necessary.

Thanks in advance :)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:06 am

Yes, dinkydragon - most of us (beta-testers) are using it on 64-bit with a more than satisfactory experience.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
dinkydragon
Mystified Moa

Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:16 am

TrustFire wrote:Yes, dinkydragon - most of us (beta-testers) are using it on 64-bit with a more than satisfactory experience.
Many thanks TrustFire, I noticed after I sent last message that you state your OS at base of reply windows. Glad to hear things have moved on in last 7mths for the better. :D
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah sorry I perhaps wasn't too clear. MailWasher won't at this stage run natively as a 64bit application, however it will run fine on 64bit Windows as a 32bit application.

If you wanted there's some articles here that explain it much better than I ever could

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... ations.htm
dinkydragon
Mystified Moa

Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Many thanks all for putting my fears to rest, and extra info, I'm sure it also will assist those that will follow down the 64bit road with MW Pro 2011/Standard.

:thumbsup Dinkydragon
dinkydragon
Mystified Moa

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:51 am

MattEvans wrote:How do we know if its not a spam mail?Image
Hi, Your not explaining yourself?? what are you referring too?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:24 am

That's a SpamBot. ;)
dinkydragon
Mystified Moa

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:48 am

Doh!! :oops:

Return to “General Tech. Help”