So I was running lowish on disk space

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

So I was running lowish on disk space

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Granted I'm a hoarder, so a quick 20GB cleanup took a few minutes....then I noticed that this machine had an unformatted partition setup, most likely a Linux install I'd forgotten about entirely, soa quick format of that and I'm 140GB richer...

Windows 7 here I come...
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Re: So I was running lowish on disk space

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:03 pm

rusticdog wrote:....then I noticed that this machine had an unformatted partition setup, most likely a Linux install I'd forgotten about entirely, soa quick format of that and I'm 140GB richer...

Windows 7 here I come...
Stan is going to be so .... unforgiving. ;)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:11 pm

If it's any consolation I still have the Linux install at home, don't use it at work....well obviously, otherwise that missing 140GB would have been accounted for much earlier.

Windows 7 install was a PITA, 4 or 5 reboots for the OS setup alone, add in your typical AV, Firewall installs after that...sheesh.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:51 pm

I've blown my entire day trying to rescue a friends daughter's XP box that was running old virus software, no firewall and without any windows updates. I don't mind you guys using Windows but to me deciding to run Windows makes getting a big tattoo and a piercing on your ding-dong look like a wise decision.

Boot time was about 20 minutes when I started, pulled a couple hundred things off it so far, boots fairly well now but there is some process running and not showing that is beating on the hard disk in one second bursts about every six seconds and IE can't open Windows Update out of all the sites I've tried.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:33 pm

My patience would never run that deep :) I'd reformat.

Still, out of date AV, no firewall etc just seems plain stupid
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:08 pm

I backed it all up just in case that has to happen but I'm having a bit of "fun" trying to recall stuff from several years back when I did this sort of thing on a paid basis. It is getting to be quite fun, something is blocking access to windows updates, hijacking the browser of all things, with the windows update server mess today I gave up after trying host file edits, got three servers in there and it needed still more to prove to Microsoft that I didn't steal this copy of xp. Grabbed the individual updates and stuff on another computer, burned a CD and am watching them crawl through their install now.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
MysteryFCM
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:17 pm

How's Windows 7 doing dude? (don't have it myself (though couldn't do anything with it even if I did - don't have a machine capable of running Vista, let alone Windows 7, lol)).
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:32 pm

It was actually going really well until I decided to upgrade my Vista to 64bit....that wiped out my dual boot records or whatever so now I can't boot into Windows 7. Something I am meaning to look at just not got around to yet.

Compared to Vista though it certainly has more of that polish that Vista should have had, so it seems like it will go down better with the Windows crowd.

Am getting damn sick of Windows Updates though, the 64bit install had I think about 150MB, then I installed Office 07 and that needed close to 400MB
MysteryFCM
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:36 pm

LOL!, sounds about right .......

On the plus side, sorting out the boot records should be simple enough, aslong as you've got the Windows 7 CD (should be the same procedure as restoring a Vista/XP MBR), or alternately via BCDEdit in Vista :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
sholdowa
BOFH

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:50 pm

MysteryFCM wrote:LOL!, sounds about right .......

On the plus side, sorting out the boot records should be simple enough, aslong as you've got the Windows 7 CD (should be the same procedure as restoring a Vista/XP MBR), or alternately via BCDEdit in Vista :)
Or installing grub...

<runs for cover>
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
MysteryFCM
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:57 pm

hehe yep, or grub :) (or LILO for that matter hehe)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Grub is running at home, works a treat. I finally got off my ass and tried EasyBCD which has sorted out my Windows 7 boot problems.
MysteryFCM
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Nice one :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
YoKenny
Student Sheep

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:18 am

I had a pleasant surprise after my old PIII died.

My old 2.4GHZ P4 XP Home system was running a bit low on space so I took the 80GB HD out of the old PIII and put it in this system as master then installed XP Home on it and the plethora of Windows Updates from the Service Pack CDs I have and on-line updates so now it works great.

I will venture into the world of Vista next week when my pension comes in and I have spare money after paying for rent and food that are a bit important.
I love the smell of burning malware in the morning.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:21 am

YoKenny wrote:I will venture into the world of Vista next week when my pension comes in and I have spare money after paying for rent and food that are a bit important.
Not going to hold off for Windows 7 ?....Did you get a copy of their beta

Return to “Chit Chat”