mails are disappearing without my clearance!

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: mails are disappearing without my clearance!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Dianthus wrote:I would advise you to read good my problems and then you will realize that it is really a nasty bug! It can be nothing else.
A bug is something that can be reproducible 100%, once your environment is replicated - BTW, have read your problem more than a dozen time. :ninja

The issue you are facing is peculiar to just your own system - otherwise, this forum would have been full of complaints (if this was truly a bug.) :facepalm

Dianthus wrote:The filters are ok because they are at the basic setting and that will not explain that there are mails totally gone and no chance to restore them. Nowhere to be seen!

:?
Can you answer one simple question - "Do you have auto delete at one (or more) of the 4 possible layers?"
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Dianthus wrote:The mail is gone! So I check the recycle Bin of the new MW and there it is. So I restore the email and I went back.
Dianthus wrote:Yes that is the big problem here! There are mails, say it again, totally gone so also no viewing at the MWP Recycle Bin (I talk of no other Bin then the bin of MW!) and also no chance to restore them. I would advise you to read good my problems and then you will realize that it is really a nasty bug! It can be nothing else.
I see the bug of contradiction, here. :D

But then, maybe - that's just my fault (for reading your issue more than a dozen time.) :devil
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Dianthus
Student Sheep

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:41 am

I see the bug of contradiction, here. :D

But then, maybe - that's just my fault (for reading your issue more than a dozen time.)
I think that it is my bad English but there is no contradiction.

I wrote first:
The mail is gone! So I check the recycle Bin of the new MW and there it is. So I restore the email and I went back.
-> then next you can read that I have closed the new MW and then I wrote:
Yes that is the big problem here! There are mails, say it again, totally gone so also no viewing at the MWP Recycle Bin (I talk of no other Bin then the bin of MW!) and also no chance to restore them. I would advise you to read good my problems and then you will realize that it is really a nasty bug! It can be nothing else.
So the mail of spamcop was seen in the bin of MW after MW deleted it for the first time. Also notice that I had Spamcop in my friends list and with the basic settings of MW it cannot be deleted. Second I had closed the program and started up again and then there are no spamcop mail in the bin of MW or anywhere else. Where is that email? And this happen to me with more than one email but the spamcop mail I had noticed right away.
The issue you are facing is peculiar to just your own system - otherwise, this forum would have been full of complaints (if this was truly a bug.)
I had noticed when I had +-20 mails in MW and I must read the most of them but had no time and a couple of days I had the time for some mails and there were mails gone. So I do not noticed it at the moment but a day or two later and I had never deleted the mails that was missing because one of them had a invoice of a product that I have bought and that was the warranty also for that product. So I know what I'm talking about and maybe I'm not the only one but the first that had noticed it because if there are no records of some deleted mails, you must exactly now what emails you have. If not you will not noticed it.

But I'm on the old MW now and now issues whatsoever. Not with reading mails and that they are back after a day or so as unread, no situations where I get a mail from B and from A and after a day or two I see the mail B with the title of A but I can nowhere see the text of mail A and the third is that I have noticed when I have emails on my account. Say 15 but in MW I see only 13-14 mails. So it does not get all the emails all the time from my account.

And I'm sure that I'm not the only one here with these issues! I'm sure of it because I know something about programs because testing is my hobby for years and I have a degree in IT. So when I say the new MW is buggy, then it is buggy or otherwise there was not much negative to tell in the first place!
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:08 am

Dianthus wrote:But I'm on the old MW now and now issues whatsoever.
Since you are happy with the old MWP, suggest you hang-on to it - wish you all the very best. :thumbsup :devil
Dianthus
Student Sheep

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:20 am

:thumbsup
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Did you try my suggestion to turn off the cache option for all accounts and then close MWP and then restart MWP.
Are you using a clean up utility such as CCleaner or something similar that is targeting your MWP settings folder.

Which email app do you have configured in MWP that is called when you do a Wash?

Also Outlook does timed mail checks independent of MWP and may check when it starts. Don't know about Incredimail.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Dianthus
Student Sheep

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi SideWinder,
Did you try my suggestion to turn off the cache option for all accounts and then close MWP and then restart MWP.
Yip I done it before the SpamCop mail and setting the cache option is also not really an option because then the read emails are always back to unread when I start MW again.
Are you using a clean up utility such as CCleaner or something similar that is targeting your MWP settings folder.
Nope, I have not used CC. Once a month or so I do it but not done it in the time I had the new MW. I have in the background Tracks Eraser Pro running and that program cleans the temp folders and so on once a week but not the MPW settings folder or uses MW also the temp folder or another folder for anything?
Which email app do you have configured in MWP that is called when you do a Wash?
I have not used the email app. That I do only if there are mails that I have to save and I get the mails that I want to save once a week or two weeks even when there are not so many mails for saving. All the rest of the mails I handle only with MW and has no point for opening a email app for it in my mind.
Also Outlook does timed mail checks independent of MWP and may check when it starts. Don't know about Incredimail.
Yes, I know but I have configured all the clients that I work with so that they do not check automatically.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:57 am

One last thought. Since you choose to use MWP as a long term repository rather than a screening tool it may be that your Cache folders in the MWP User File directory are getting corrupted. This can happen a couple of ways. (1) An app that is trying to clean up your system (2) An improper shut down of MWP e.g. forced shut down of system without waiting for MWP to complete the orderly closure or an app that forces quick system shut down. (3) Use of Write Caching on the HDD and not letting it clean out when shutting down (4) HDD failures
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Dianthus
Student Sheep

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi Sidewinder,
it may be that your Cache folders in the MWP User File directory are getting corrupted. This can happen a couple of ways. (1) An app that is trying to clean up your system
If I'm correct then the cache folder is stored under C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Firetrust\MailWasher\cache and there is no cleaning that I know of.

An improper shut down of MWP e.g. forced shut down of system without waiting for MWP to complete the orderly closure or an app that forces quick system shut down
I have here indeed a forced shut down. http://www.howtogeek.com/80102/make-win ... d=noscript
(3) Use of Write Caching on the HDD and not letting it clean out when shutting down (4) HDD failures
I have here an SSD and Write Caching is on but it is not an option to turn it off or the performance goes down.

But if the pc’s or program shutdown is forced or the power is suddenly gone, can that make emails totally disappearing?
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Dianthus wrote:But if the pc’s or program shutdown is forced or the power is suddenly gone, can that make emails totally disappearing?
MWP requires an orderly shutdown sequence. Try just manually closing MWP before you shut down.

How many emails are you leaving on the server e.g. showing in MWP at any given time?
Dianthus
Student Sheep

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:05 am

MWP requires an orderly shutdown sequence. Try just manually closing MWP before you shut down.
I do that every time! But you have me thinking about some tweaks I have done many years ago. I have shorten the time for when Windows shut down programs entirely when they are not responding but it can be that the programs are busy on the background with something and with these tweak it can be possible that it will interfere with such a program that is closing but is also busy for a moment before it is shut down completely.
How many emails are you leaving on the server e.g. showing in MWP at any given time?
That depends how many mails there are. If there are a few and they are not urgent I leave them until I have the time for them or when there are too many important emails, then I will have download them with an email client and will sort them out in the client. Mostly this is Incredimail. Outlook I use for sending and Incredimail for storage. I find Incredimail better looking than the old outlook. But with the new MW I have noticed that it will not always give me the correct numbers of mails that I have on the server.
hitophikers
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:41 am

For a few months now, I've been having similar problems with new mail disappearing COMPLETELY.

Typically, when I have 2-3 good e-mail and one SPAM type showing, when I click Wash Mail, EVERYTHING disappears and can not be found anywhere on my system or on my mail server system either. It's been completely deleted, not trashed.

This is happening more and more frequently. Not sure exactly when it started, but sometime since the first of 2015. This had never happened prior to then. If I sent some items to the Recycle Bin, that's where they went, but lately, when I click, they are completely gone - forever. It's gotten to the point that when I have SPAM shown, I go ahead and open my normal Thunderbird e-mail client and download all the messages and then go to MW and "wash", even though nothing really happens as they are already downloaded from my mail server.

This is becoming a real problem as many valuable e-mail are being destroyed by MW, which is totally unacceptable to me.
Dianthus
Student Sheep

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:50 am

Voila, I know that I'm not the only one with this problem! I say it again...it's a serieus bug MW!
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:39 pm

hitophikers wrote:For a few months now, I've been having similar problems with new mail disappearing COMPLETELY.
The next time this happens, send some logs to Firetrust Support. You can do this by going to Help - Send Support Logs. Include a brief description of the problem and someone will be able to see what the logs have recorded.
Windows 10
Dianthus
Student Sheep

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:28 am

I have done that and I get the answer that they cannot find it in the logs and they also said that they have no other one found with this problem but here are now two people with the same problem here! Maybe hitophikers can also contact them and if you do then you may give my name to them because they now that I have contact them with this problem a few weeks ago and also they now about this topic here on the forum and maybe if someone else do that, then maybe they will be investigated this problem seriously because where there are two...there are more to come. I'm sure of that because I know something about IT and this is not normal that there are mail vanishing in thin air.

But I'm now back at the old MW and no problems whatsoever. I hope that this bug is gone when I'm one W10 over a year or so.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”