Blacklist not working properly

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
moparmartin
Student Sheep

Blacklist not working properly

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:32 am

Hi, I have a particular email that keeps getting past MW. I've manually added it to the black list and also added a *@domain generic entry but it has no effect. Any clues? Other entries are captured so I can't understand why this one gets through. The offending address is newsletters@thealternativedaily.com :?
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: Blacklist not working properly

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:09 pm

moparmartin wrote:Hi, I have a particular email that keeps getting past MW. I've manually added it to the black list and also added a *@domain generic entry but it has no effect. Any clues? Other entries are captured so I can't understand why this one gets through. The offending address is newsletters@thealternativedaily.com :?
Not sure what you mean by "gets through". I suggest that you enable the Sidebar that shows the evaluation tools and see what the scoring is for that message.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:47 pm

The thealternativedaily.com site looks legit, are these newsletters you're getting genuine ?
moparmartin
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi Sidewinder, my comment of "getting through" maybe should have been a little more precise. What I meant was Mailwasher does not recognize these emails because it does not even flag them for deletion even though the address is in the blacklist. I will take your advise and bring up the evaluation list and wait for the next email thanks.
Hi Rusticdog, yes the site is OK but I never wanted the emails in the first place and I can't get mailwasher to recognize them. All other blacklist entries function as expected. It seems to defy logic.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Given the site is legit, you ought to be able to just unsubscribe. I'll sign up now and see if I can reproduce any problem with the blacklist as well.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:03 pm

moparmartin wrote:Hi Sidewinder, my comment of "getting through" maybe should have been a little more precise. What I meant was Mailwasher does not recognize these emails because it does not even flag them for deletion even though the address is in the blacklist. I will take your advise and bring up the evaluation list and wait for the next email thanks.
Hi Rusticdog, yes the site is OK but I never wanted the emails in the first place and I can't get mailwasher to recognize them. All other blacklist entries function as expected. It seems to defy logic.
Be aware that just because an email is tagged by the Blacklist it does not necessarily get marked for deletion. The process is a combination of all of the tools.

Advise what the value of each of the tools is and the total.http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/mail ... 022015.exe
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Got my first newsletter from them and it's matching OK.
Under Settings >> General >> Checking Mail >> what's your SPam Throttle set to ? You might want to try something like 300 lines if it's around 80 or less.
moparmartin
Student Sheep

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for the info guys and yes I'm running the current version and the spam throttle was set at 80 so it's now 300. Murhy's law is also keeping an eye on me and has ensured that now I want one of these offending emails I haven't got any yet. I will post again when I know something more.
moparmartin
Student Sheep

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Guys, Well I got another email from the Alternative Daily and MW has blacklisted it as it should. I had no idea that the spam throttle could make such a difference. Thanks for the help, though I still can't figure how a manual entry doesn't work but it doesn't matter now it works ok. Thanks again

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”