Need some help with bouncing

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
jumper77
Rattled Rabbit

Need some help with bouncing

Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:24 pm

Can someone tell me how bouncing works? Like, once I select bounce, can I delete the message or do I need to save it?
I have been found by the mailing list from hell. It is the worse I've ever seen and I'm 63 years old and a retired software developer.

So please help me out. I would really appreciate it,
john
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: Need some help with bouncing

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:25 pm

The best help I can suggest is Do Not Bounce. It will create more problems than you already have.
I suggest that you create filter(s) to tag the emails and if the filter works good then set it to automatically delete the message.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:58 pm

Yes, you can setup MW to auto delete a lot of your spam, it's MUCH better than bouncing spam emails...

Although you can still bounce in the latest version, (just right click an email and click mark for bounce), we've disabled the bounce column to stop users from bouncing all spam emails, as we no longer actually recommend to bounce all emails because 90% of all email addresses in Spam messages are forged and therefore no one will ever receive that bounce message and it is just unnecessary email traffic.

To auto delete senders you have already added to your blacklist for example, click Settings>>Spam Tools>>Blacklist>>Options, tick, "Auto delete blacklisted emails".

You can also set your filters, (Settings>>Spam Tools>>Filters>>click a filter>>Edit) to auto delete by selecting this option under the Actions tab there...

And to set MW to auto delete any email that comes in over a specific spam rating, click Settings>>Spam Tools>>Spam Ratings, and tick, "Auto delete if rating reaches:"

Note however, I recommend you read this first before enabling the last option:

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7214
jumper77
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi Sidewinder, thanks for the advice about NOT using 'bounce'. To be honest, I'm not even sure it worked. There is no way to tell :)

To auto delete senders you have already added to your blacklist for example, click Settings>>Spam Tools>>Blacklist>>Options, tick, "Auto delete blacklisted emails".
You can also set your filters, (Settings>>Spam Tools>>Filters>>click a filter>>Edit) to auto delete by selecting this option under the Actions tab there...
And to set MW to auto delete any email that comes in over a specific spam rating, click Settings>>Spam Tools>>Spam Ratings, and tick, "Auto delete if rating reaches:"

And gingbat, thank you for replying too. Right now I already have auto-delete set for the blacklist. But it 'appears' to be not doing what it should. I also have auto-delete set for all filters. I didn't know about the ratings settings, but I just now I set it to be auto-delete.

Thank you both for the help...

edit: What's a good number to set ratings to?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 pm

jumper77 wrote:Hi Sidewinder, thanks for the advice about NOT using 'bounce'. To be honest, I'm not even sure it worked. There is no way to tell :)
Bouncing is working great, here — just bounce a message to one of your own accounts (that's the easiest and surest way "to tell.") ;)

jumper77 wrote:Right now I already have auto-delete set for the blacklist. But it 'appears' to be not doing what it should. I also have auto-delete set for all filters.
I thought that I'd already illustrated to you that the auto-delete filter will not work unless it is enabled and also placed higher-up on the food-chain. :facepalm

FWIW, it is a very bad idea to auto-delete — almost as bad as bouncing. :no
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
paulhr
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:58 am

While it may be true that 90% of span comes from a fake email address there is still the 10%. I would also point out that just because fake email addresses are 90% of the volume they are not 90% of the use cases. I have businesses that will not remove me from there email address list despite the fact that there is a law that says they must.

Please don't remove the bounce feature!

:idea:
I would like to request a "bounce" check box feature be added to the blacklist. Default the checkbox to be unchecked. Then also add a hover help saying "Use of the bounce feature is discouraged for fake email addresses, it wastes resources. Only use for known real email addresses. "
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:12 am

Since the point raised by you is not related to this topic, can you please open a new topic — thanks.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
NEILPH
Student Sheep

bouncing works

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 am

For around 4 months I had been getting around 30 spams a day, mostly from .ru, They never stopped. And using MW blacklist showed that each day they came from a new address.

My ISP is Actrix. They have a thing called cyberfilter. It bounces anything I list there.

I tried it. Inadvertently I had it bouncing everything. It took three days to get Actrix to turn it off. During that time it was disastrous for my business contacts. [however, their bounced emails did let them send me a blank email. Then cyberfilter put them on a whitelist.

The interesting thing is that - touch wood - those blasted spams have stopped.

I like someone's opinion that the spams were being sent by an automated spambot, which maybe had a rule that any target address, me for instance, that bounced for a day or more would automatically be removed from the bots target list.

Fingers crossed.

The crazy thing is that all the spams were in Russian language.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:44 am

I like someone's opinion that the spams were being sent by an automated spambot, which maybe had a rule that any target address, me for instance, that bounced for a day or more would automatically be removed from the bots target list.
If you are asking if spammers double down and increase spams to people who bounce, then no, that does not happen.

One of the reasons most here don't recommend using the bounce feature is because it just does not work with spammers. This is because spam typically has a fake return email address. So if you bounce the spam, it never gets back to the spammer. Some ISPs frown on bouncing because those bounces clutter up their systems with worthless emails.

If the spammer uses an invalid return address, that bounce then bounces around for while, unnecessarily consuming bandwidth and resource until it finally ends up in the bit bucket - this could take several days.

Worse, spammers often use someone else's legitimate email address (spoofing). So then your bounce then goes back to the innocent person who's email address was stolen. So your bouncing often creates grief for innocent by-standers. Not good.

So it is best just to create a rule that automatically tags the email as spam and delete it. Don't open it and don't reply. Replying (if a real email address is used) just tells the bad guy your email address is valid. Odds are, in a few days, if the spams are not blocked by other blacklists, the spammer will move to a different distribution list and you will stop getting those emails.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”