Mailwasher not Washing

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
bmachia
Mystified Moa

Mailwasher not Washing

Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:11 am

I've been running Mailwasher for years and years. I've had some small problems over all this time, but never anything major.

Within the past two weeks, either the spammers have found a way to get around Mailwasher, my rules, and the Bayesian lessons learned or Mailwasher has stopped washing.

I can see Mailwasher logging into my email and watch it download the email header information for Bayesian learning, but maybe only 10 out of 100 emails is moved over to SPAM. In some instances email are marked Red but not deleted until I press the Clean SPAM button.

Is anyone else having these problems, is there a way I can reset the Bayesian filter (maybe I reached it maximum).

Hoping to hear from anyone

Bill
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Mailwasher not Washing

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi there

Under Settings >> General >> Checking Mail >> what's your Spam Throttle set to ? I would recommend around 350-500 lines.

Also, if you right click on an email and select Show Evaluation Details >> that brings up the sidebar showing how MailWasher came to the conclusion it did (spam or not).

For the emails that are Spam, but not being picked up as Spam by MailWasher, are they just showing a low Learning filter score ?

For the emails that are detected, but you have to push Wash Mail. By default, MailWasher won't automatically delete emails detected by the Learning filters. Under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Spam Ratings >> there's an auto-delete option here. If you enable this I would start deleting emails with a score -140, and also recommend you make good use of the Friends List for the legit senders.

The Learning filters should be a rolling history, as new emails are trained old emails previously trained should be removed, however to do a total reset go Settings >> Spam Tools >> Learning Settings >> there is a RESET button here. This can take a couple of minutes depending on the size of the files, I would also restart MailWasher afterwards.

NOTE : I would not enable auto-delete if you do reset the filters. Or if you enable it, then decide to reset then disable auto-delete for a time, as MailWasher needs to learn again which emails are good/spam.
bmachia
Mystified Moa

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Rustic Dog. Thanks for the reply!! My responses to your questions is below.

Under Settings >> General >> Checking Mail >> what's your Spam Throttle set to ? I would recommend around 350-500 lines.
Spam Throttle is set to 360, Check Throttle is set to 1

Also, if you right click on an email and select Show Evaluation Details >> that brings up the sidebar showing how MailWasher came to the conclusion it did (spam or not).
There was a definite SPAM email in the Mailwasher Inbox, from a pet supply company, Chewy.com. Subject: 20% off & more with your first order. Mailwasher has this in Green and rated the spam as a +140. ??

For the emails that are Spam, but not being picked up as Spam by MailWasher, are they just showing a low Learning filter score ? See above

For the emails that are detected, but you have to push Wash Mail. By default, MailWasher won't automatically delete emails detected by the Learning filters. Under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Spam Ratings >> there's an auto-delete option here. If you enable this I would start deleting emails with a score -140, and also recommend you make good use of the Friends List for the legit senders.
My mailwasher is currently setup in the configuration you mention above. Only the SPAM Score is set to -200

The Learning filters should be a rolling history, as new emails are trained old emails previously trained should be removed, however to do a total reset go Settings >> Spam Tools >> Learning Settings >> there is a RESET button here. This can take a couple of minutes depending on the size of the files, I would also restart MailWasher afterwards.
After seeing my information above, would you do a Reset?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:07 pm

OK, so with the emails like the one from Chewy, I take it you are correcting MailWasher by clicking the Thumbs Down to mark it as Spam before you Wash Mail ?

As an aside, if the email was from Chewy, that does appear to be a legit company. Have you done a previous order or other interaction that might have subscribed you to their newsletters ?
Edit : Would it also be correct to say you get a few other pet related emails/newsletters ?
TomK_VA
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:16 am

Just throwing in my 2¢ - Chewy.com is a valid merchant; I've ordered from them before :-)
bmachia
Mystified Moa

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 am

OK, but I don't have any pets...
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01 am

bmachia wrote:OK, but I don't have any pets...
Heh, can't really argue with that.

In that case, and assuming you are correcting the training when MailWasher gets it wrong, then I would hit the reset button. First 100 or so emails after that are going to need care on training for the spam/good. But see how it performs after that.

Cheers
bmachia
Mystified Moa

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Well, we both thought about that solution at the same time. About an hour ago, I hit the reset button. Last time I checked (10 minutes ago) I had 87 emails to determine if they were SPAM or not. Hopefully this will let me start from scratch and stop all this decision making.

Thanks for all the Help.

Appreciated
Bill
bmachia
Mystified Moa

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:20 am

Hi RusticDog and all,
Just wanted to let you know its been a couple of days since I reset the filters and Mailwasher is running like a brand new program. I must have been having problems for some time and it continued to get progressively worse over time.

Now, I only see 2 or 3 SPAM decision emails per day. What a difference from last week!

Thanks and Happy Holidays
Bill
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:12 pm

Great, glad to hear it Bill.

Cheers
rd

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”