Wish Mailwasher included an 'open with' (browser) option

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mw62
Active Albatross

Wish Mailwasher included an 'open with' (browser) option

Tue May 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Wished Mailwasher had a 'open with' option.

I'll try to explain.

When clicking on a link in the preview, the default browser will be launched, rightfully so. For most sites that is fine.
However, for some sites I prefer to use another browser.
For instance: for visiting Youtube, I prefer to use Firefox, same as for visiting Facebook.
(reason=long story)

On Android there is an app "Better Open With'. It can configured in a way that when clicking on a link from within a mail, a pop-up will show up with available browsers and one can then select the right browser (e.g. a password manager browser when visiting forums, or the default browser, in my case Dolphin, or Chrome for Android)

So, for Mailwasher, the idea would be that a new.. option would allow users to select the browser when clicking on an URL within the preview.
Currently I can only copy the URL (e.g. Facebook) launch FF separately and paste the link.

=
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: Wish Mailwasher included an 'open with' (browser) option

Tue May 02, 2017 8:32 pm

For a reference-point, can you cite any e-mail client, browser (or for that matter even a program or application) with this capability. :scratch

Not sure whether my Outlook Professional Plus 2016 possesses this capability, either — but I checked a few links from within the most advanced e-mail client on planet Earth, The Bat! Professional and did not find the same:—
Context_Menu__(The_Bat!_Professional).png
Context_Menu__(The_Bat!_Professional).png (33.86 KiB) Viewed 9976 times
[/center]

mw62 wrote:On Android there is an app "Better Open With'.
This is just a third party app. (I'm using it on my Android device.) ;)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
mw62
Active Albatross

Wed May 03, 2017 2:25 am

I am using Outlook 2016. Frankly speaking, I wouldn't know if it is available and -if at all- where.

There is not much more than this...

=
SnagIt-02052017 162431.png
SnagIt-02052017 162431.png (26.32 KiB) Viewed 9961 times
=
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed May 03, 2017 6:26 pm

mw62 wrote:On Android there is an app "Better Open With'. It can configured in a way that when clicking on a link from within a mail, a pop-up will show up with available browsers and one can then select the right browser (e.g. a password manager browser when visiting forums, or the default browser, in my case Dolphin, or Chrome for Android)
According to Sidewinder, Password Safe a password manager (for Windows), brings the option of alternate browsers — you may try it if you wish and thank Sidewinder if you succeed.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
mw62
Active Albatross

Wed May 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Well, it is a suggestion for an option within Mailwasher, i.e. from the preview in MW click on URL, then MW asks which browser. I was hoping for something in general settings.
Something like: "Open link with:" select [Default browser] or [Ask which browser]
If it is impossible and/or too complicated, well, I guess I should forget it, bad luck.
Thanks for the suggestions, but sorry to say, I don't want to change from software that I am used to and have been using for I-don't-know-how-many years.

=
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed May 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Since Firetrust is working on a completely revamped V8, they might add this feature if found feasible — my personal opinion is that it won't happen since such a feature has never before been seen on any other application or program (excepting third party software.)

You might want to prefix the subject of this topic with the words — Feature Request. :thumbsup
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 am

Yeah it is an interesting idea, I've jotted it down as something for us to consider once a lot more of the heavier programming stuff is done.
mustang5.0
Mystified Moa

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Dear Rusticdog,

The ability to specify which browser to use (i.e., when clicking on a URL in a message body, as displayed in the panel below the inbox) is the ONLY option that i dream of having, every day.

I use win10 pro and my default browser is Firefox. However, links in messages received in MailWasherPRO only open Internet Explorer. Ugh!

Thank you for considering this feature in your upcoming updates.

Regards,
M5.0
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:26 pm

mustang5.0 wrote:I use win10 pro and my default browser is Firefox. However, links in messages received in MailWasherPRO only open Internet Explorer. Ugh!
Same here — but, MailWasher is opening links in Firefox, for me (as it should be.) ;)
mustang5.0
Mystified Moa

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 am

TrustFire wrote:
mustang5.0 wrote:I use win10 pro and my default browser is Firefox. However, links in messages received in MailWasherPRO only open Internet Explorer. Ugh!
Same here — but, MailWasher is opening links in Firefox, for me (as it should be.) ;)

I have to believe that there is a line of code, somewhere, that controls this function.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 am

Control Panel >>----> Category >>----> Large icons >>----> Default Programs >>----> Set your default programs >>----> Firefox >>----> Choose defaults for this program:—
Set_Your_Default_Programs.png
Set_Your_Default_Programs.png (61.5 KiB) Viewed 9336 times
[/center]

Control Panel >>----> Category >>----> Large icons >>----> Default Programs >>----> Associate a file type or protocol with a program:—
Associate_A_File_Type_With A_Program.png
Associate_A_File_Type_With A_Program.png (57.41 KiB) Viewed 9336 times
[/center]

Control Panel >>----> Category >>----> Large icons >>----> Default Programs >>----> Associate a file type or protocol with a program:—
Associate_A_Protocol_With_A_Program.png
Associate_A_Protocol_With_A_Program.png (45.33 KiB) Viewed 9336 times
[/center]
mustang5.0
Mystified Moa

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 am

I will try that. thank you!

One point i should have mentioned in my original post: Most links are in fact opening in my default browser (Firefox). But there is one message i receive every day (from the same sender) with links that only cause IE to open, and never Firefox. I have made the changes you showed above and will see if that changes anything.
mustang5.0
Mystified Moa

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 pm

ok,..,.. thanks again. i did all the adjustments to the default application settings....but still its not opening URLS with my default browser. its using IE instead of Firefox.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 pm

mustang5.0 wrote:I will try that. thank you!

One point i should have mentioned in my original post: Most links are in fact opening in my default browser (Firefox). But there is one message i receive every day (from the same sender) with links that only cause IE to open, and never Firefox. I have made the changes you showed above and will see if that changes anything.
I do recall this being a problem if you right click on a link in an HTML email, and select to Open in New Window. You are just left clicking on the links in the email, or right ?

As MW uses an IE based viewer for the HTML display, it does have this odd behaviour depending.
mustang5.0
Mystified Moa

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:21 am

rusticdog wrote:
mustang5.0 wrote:I will try that. thank you!

I do recall this being a problem if you right click on a link in an HTML email, and select to Open in New Window. You are just left clicking on the links in the email, or right ?

As MW uses an IE based viewer for the HTML display, it does have this odd behaviour depending.

Have tried it both ways, with same result.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”