Running MW with an SSD boot drive.

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mlrichardson
Active Albatross

Running MW with an SSD boot drive.

Tue May 09, 2017 6:33 am

I'm sure most of you already know this, but I recently had to re-install Windows (10), and while that happened moved my boot drive and installed an SSD for a new boot. I found, shortly after I had re-installed Thunderbird and MW, what I thought was a problem with MW. It took almost no time to delete the unwanted entries on the IP's server. It happened so fast, in fact, I had trouble realizing it had happened. I kept looking at the results, and finally realized the difference was the SSD. I don't think I'll get used to it for a while yet. Hopefully, I will remember what's happening.
Mike Richardson
MS Windows 10 Pro
Vipre Internet Security
Firefox 27.0, Thunderbird 24.3.0, MWPro, WP Office X3

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: Running MW with an SSD boot drive.

Tue May 09, 2017 7:02 am

I've had an SSD boot drive for several years now and yes it does take some getting used to. There are some other quirks other than speed. They don't recommend Indexing, Optimizing etc. to prolong the drives life.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Tue May 09, 2017 8:19 am

They don't recommend Indexing, Optimizing etc. to prolong the drives life.
Who doesn't? Got a link? More importantly, is it current? Today's SSDs don't suffer from the woes of first generation SSDs. Just leave Windows alone. It knows how to deal with SSDs just fine.

For sure, SSDs need to be regularly optimized too. You never defrag a SSD because they don't need. And Windows, of course, disables defragging SSDs in their Disk Optimize feature so you don't have to worry about disabling defragging.

Indexing is no problem either as it is a 1-time deal. Once done, it takes little to keep it current. In fact, once you index, it saves wear on your SSD because it already knows where to find what you are looking for. If you disable indexing, every time you search for something, the OS has to crawl through your entire drive again. So leave Indexing on!

Again, just let Windows manage both your SSDs and HDs. They know what they are doing.

https://www.howtogeek.com/256859/dont-w ... its-doing/
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
michaelkenward
Guardian Gecko

Tue May 09, 2017 11:40 pm

Sidewinder wrote:They don't recommend Indexing....
This is a dangerous myth, especially as Microsoft uses indexing for things like Cortana.

There is an interesting article on How-To Geek explaining why people should ignore that one:

Don’t Waste Time Optimizing Your SSD, Windows Knows What Its Doing

Here is what it says about indexing:
Some guides say you should disable search indexing–a feature that makes search work faster. They claim that, with an SSD, search is already fast enough. But this isn’t really true. Indexing builds a list of the files on your drive and looks inside your documents so you can perform instant full-text search. With indexing enabled, you can search and almost instantly find any file on your PC. With indexing disabled, Windows will have to crawl your entire drive and look inside files–that still takes some time and CPU resources. People argue Indexing is bad because Windows writes to the drive when it creates an index, but once again, that isn’t a concern.
There is nothing special about SSDs, beyond their speed.
MK
MW Pro 7.5.0 Lifetime licence.
Android 1.4 on Asus Nexus 7 and LG Nexus 4

Windows 10 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI-e AHCI SSD + Corsair 16GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 2400MHz Memory
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Wed May 10, 2017 2:40 am

Not sure I would go that generalized. Sure, the fact the slowest SSD can run circles around the fastest hard drives is something special. But there are many more advantages to SSDs over HDs.

They are much smaller physically. They weigh much less (important for mobile computers). They consume less power and generate less heat. They have no moving parts so they are less subject to damage through rough handling. No moving parts means nothing to wear out due to friction or to make noise.

Yes, they still cost more, but those prices are coming down.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
michaelkenward
Guardian Gecko

Wed May 10, 2017 4:49 am

Digerati wrote:
They are much smaller physically. They weigh much less (important for mobile computers). They consume less power and generate less heat. They have no moving parts so they are less subject to damage through rough handling. No moving parts means nothing to wear out due to friction or to make noise.
HDDs have emulated many of those attributes. They are now much smaller, quieter and more energy efficient than first generation HDDs. I started off with 40 MB drives. The leap from those to today's HDDs was much bigger than the leap from today's HDDs to SSDs.

SSDs aren't really smaller physically if you look at the drives put into laptops, although that is down to reusing the old form factor. And we have yet to see how big a 6TB SSD will be, or how hot it will get. (Memory chips also generate heat that needs removing.)

Lighter yes, but as a percentage of the weight of a laptop? I've never seen SSDs sold on that basis.

The unique bit is the lack of moving parts, but the scaremongers would have us believe that HDDs "wear out" with all that reading and writing of data. (I know that's one of the myths that the How-To Geek piece dismisses, but there are still some believers.) But even there it is not a giant leap forward given the incremental improvements in HDDs over the years.

Beyond speed, the rest isn't all that special if you look at it from the user's point of view.

Oh, one thing I found when building a PC with an M.2 drive was that the death of the SATA interface can cause some head scratching when you install the drive.
MK
MW Pro 7.5.0 Lifetime licence.
Android 1.4 on Asus Nexus 7 and LG Nexus 4

Windows 10 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI-e AHCI SSD + Corsair 16GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 2400MHz Memory
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Wed May 10, 2017 5:43 am

SSDs aren't really smaller physically
Huh? Typical PC HDs are 3.5 inches wide, much thicker and longer than SSDs. Even most 2.5 inch hard drives for notebooks are longer and thicker. There are some thinner 7mm thick 2.5in hard drives but they have some of the poorest performance of any hard drives (due to slow RPM rates), and fewer platters for smaller capacities too. And they still generate motor noise - and vibrations too which can reverberate and even amplify in some cases. Especially as the motors age and bearings wear.

Quieter is not the same thing as totally silent. SSDs are totally silent.
Lighter yes, but as a percentage of the weight of a laptop? I've never seen SSDs sold on that basis.
:( No one said anything about SSDs being sold on that basis alone. But for sure, many notebooks are being marketed with their lighter weight and less bulk being primary selling points.

And nobody is talking about today's hard drives compared to 1st generation hard drives. If you are going to do that, make sure you use today's SSDs when comparing with today's hard drives. Today's SSDs are still more efficient resulting in less heat generation for easier cooling - essential in notebooks, and for longer battery run times - also essential in notebooks.

I fail to understand the vigor of your defense for hard drives. Hard drives were great in their day, and for storage of massive amounts of data on a budget, they still have their place. But hard drive technologies go back 60 years! Densities and speeds have improved, but other than that, little has changed. So to suggest speed is the only thing about SSDs from a user's viewpoint is just not understanding their value. Size, weight, noise and heat generation, and energy consumption are all factors that many value too.

They may not matter to you and that's fine. But it is not fine to suggest you speak for all users.
Oh, one thing I found when building a PC with an M.2 drive was that the death of the SATA interface can cause some head scratching when you install the drive.
The death of the SATA interface is not the fault of the SSD. And I note M.2 SSDs are lighter and smaller too, not to mention generally faster than most standard SATA SSDs.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”