Hideaway Crashed & Burned

Baron
Student Sheep

Hideaway Crashed & Burned

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:48 am

Won't start up (well, it did once and then crashed). Unable to get it back up and unable to uninstall as the Windows uninstaller doesn't think it's installed, so apart from manual delete what can I do? Tried 2.0 Beta but it switched off the internet so I couldn't find out how to work around that, so that's uninstalled OK. NOW what do I do?

By the way, it has been working away so far in the background that I can't tell you if this is the result of a Windows update, like the anniversary update I applied about 4 weeks ago, but possibly. I don't know..
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Hideaway Crashed & Burned

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Can you go to the Registry Editor (Start>>Run, then type 'regedit' and hit enter) and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\WinpkFilter

Then double click the key 'IsAlreadyInstalled' and change the Vlue Data from 1 to 0

Now, try and install HideAway again. Did that help?

Probably worth doing a system check if any files are corrupted. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Did you install a new Antivirus program recently?
Baron
Student Sheep

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi Nick, I'll give that a try and get back to you. No new anti-virus program but fairly recent Anti-Exploit Malwarebytes. AS I said, Hideaway works so far in the background I did not notice when this issue first occurred...
Baron
Student Sheep

Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:52 pm

The system check came up clear. Your route through the registry didn't pan out because there was no foldernamed "WinpkFilter". However, there was a folder named Hideaway in folder WOW6432Node and in it was the same key: 'IsAlreadyInstalled' so I changed the value to 0.

However! I went to your site to download Hideaway and guess what! You have removed it because of issues with Mastercard. It was there yesterday, but not today.

What now?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:49 am

Sorry, yes it's still there but just not linked to. Here's the link http://www.firetrust.com/products/hidea ... imited-vpn
Baron
Student Sheep

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:26 am

Hello again Nick. That seems to have done the trick mate..

Thanks for your help :bow:
Baron
Student Sheep

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:40 am

Ooops tilt. It runs ok for about 5 mins then checks out. It will re-launch but then checks out again. I'm going to uninstall (at least it is now showing up in Control Panel Programs & Features) and reinstall and see how that goes.
Baron
Student Sheep

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:36 am

No, sorry, same issue. Will launch OK and run from between 5-10 mins and then Windows pops up and says "Hideaway has stopped working". Program then freezes and vanishes.

There doesn't seem to be a common denominator - it simply just stops...
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Can you try this version http://cdn.firetrust.com/downloads/hide ... _140ev.exe and see if that fixes it?
Baron
Student Sheep

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:34 am

Hi again Nick, sorry I've been slow to respond but I believe it's now become stable since uninstalling and reinstalling. At first it behaved the same way (run for about 5 minutes then just vanish) but after a couple of days and me keeping an eye on it, I am pleased to report that it has remained stable since last Friday. I did not try your version in the link but will if anything changes.

Thanks for sticking with me buddy! It really is a nice piece of software so it's worth making the effort to keep it working..

Cheers,

The Baron.. :thumbsup
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:37 am

Ok, thanks for letting us know. The newer version in that link just has a more robust signing certificate which Windows 10 likes more.

Return to “HideAway”