updater.exe

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
cfheinz
Guardian Gecko

updater.exe

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:15 am

My computer protection program is blocking something from Caphyon LTD as a part of updater.exe. The information points to Mailwasher.

Is this something that I should unblock?

Thanks.
Carl Heinz
Windows XP Pro SP3+, Fortè Agent, iPad Air, MailWasher Beta Tester
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: updater.exe

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:32 am

cfheinz wrote:My computer protection program is blocking something from Caphyon LTD as a part of updater.exe. The information points to Mailwasher.

Is this something that I should unblock?

Thanks.
Yes, it is the program that MWP uses to check for a new official version release. It runs once per day. It does not find Beta versions.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
cfheinz
Guardian Gecko

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks.
Carl Heinz
Windows XP Pro SP3+, Fortè Agent, iPad Air, MailWasher Beta Tester
Thieu
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 am

My viruschecker (AVG Identity Protection) tells me that updater.exe is a threatand wants me to place it in quarantine. what can or shall I do with it?

Thanks for your answer, Thieu
Attachments
updater screenshot.png
screenshot of the warnig by AVG
updater screenshot.png (66.33 KiB) Viewed 9011 times
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 am

You may safely allow it (do not quarantine) - it's not a threat.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:24 am

what can or shall I do with it?
Since malicious code can disguise itself with legitimate file names, I recommend checking it with a supplemental scanner like Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) or SUPERAntiSpyware. Then if okay, allow it.

And if your anti-malware solution continues to report these "false positives" (as AVG has a history of doing) you might consider a different anti-malware solution, such as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:50 am

Thieu wrote:My viruschecker (AVG Identity Protection) tells me that updater.exe is a threatand wants me to place it in quarantine. what can or shall I do with it?

Thanks for your answer, Thieu
Gewoon... "bestand laten zoals het nu is" kiezen... ;)

Sorry folks... answering a fellow Dutchman in English is a bit too weird.. even to me! :devil
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:40 pm

racker wrote: Gewoon... "bestand laten zoals het nu is" kiezen...
Oh, I'd thought you'd gotten a cat that liked to walk on the keyboard. :-)
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:10 pm

The simple, comprehensive & swift way to find out whether any file is infected is to multi-scan it at VirusTotal. If a file being flagged as a threat, receives a clean chit at VirusTotal - it's time to change one's security system. BTW, the AVG Identity Protection is based on the failed ZoneAlarm Identity Theft model. :devil
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Thieu
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:24 pm

@Racker: Dank voor je post, zal het terugzetten :-)

@All others: Thanks for your replies, case closed!

Regards, Thieu
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:19 am

stan_qaz wrote:
racker wrote: Gewoon... "bestand laten zoals het nu is" kiezen...
Oh, I'd thought you'd gotten a cat that liked to walk on the keyboard. :-)
Though some folks think Dutch to be a speech impediment rather than a language, I do admit it does take at least some intelligence to appreciate our fair speach... :P :devil :mrgreen: ;)
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
MikeB100
It begins with a single step

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 am

I've been using Firetrust Mailwasher for years and my security software has never taken exception to any part of it's normal routines before. Why does it suddenly think that this piece of Third Party authored software presents a possible danger?
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:34 am

MikeB100 wrote:I've been using Firetrust Mailwasher for years and my security software has never taken exception to any part of it's normal routines before. Why does it suddenly think that this piece of Third Party authored software presents a possible danger?
Most likely it was one of the updates to your security software increasing their awareness as to what is going on. Updater.exe accesses the web to check for a new update/version of the MWP software.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:41 am

I've been using Firetrust Mailwasher for years and my security software has never taken exception to any part of it's normal routines before. Why does it suddenly think that this piece of Third Party authored software presents a possible danger?
There is no fool-proof security program. They all make mistakes and we can only hope they err on the side of caution with false positives rather than err by letting malicious code get by. This is why you should never rely on a single piece (or single suite) of security software. I use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) as my primary real-time anti-malware solution, but I also use MBAM for manual, supplemental scanning as a double check.

So if you regular scanner reports a problem, scan it with your supplemental scanner. And of course do what you did too - ask questions!

For the record, what security program tagged MW?
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:47 am

MikeB100 wrote:I've been using Firetrust Mailwasher for years and my security software has never taken exception to any part of it's normal routines before. >>---->
You should be concerned about your security software:-
  • If you're referring to a firewall and have never ever received at least one prompt throughout these years about the 'Updater.exe' attempting to connect to the internet and/or
  • If you're referring to a HIPS program and have never ever received at least one prompt throughout these years about 'Updater.exe' being triggered or triggering something.
You should be concerned about the MWP 'Updater.exe':-
  • If you're referring to an anti-virus/anti-spyware program

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”