Splash Screen freezes - can't open 7.2.0

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
judij42
Rattled Rabbit

Splash Screen freezes - can't open 7.2.0

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:58 am

I know there has to be an answer to this and I rely on Mail Washer but once I updated, it freezes at the Splash Screen and won't open.

I'm using Windows 7

Any and all suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thank you, Judi
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: Splash Screen freezes - can't open 7.2.0

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 am

It may be your Security Software. See if you can tell the software that MWP is "Trusted".

If that is not the problem then I would uninstall MWP from the Control Panel and then try a fresh download and install. You may need to use a free program called Revo Uninstaller to clean everything out.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Some of the MailWasher files may have been corrupted. To fix this:

1. Make a back up of the MailWasher files. If you go to the Start button, type %APPDATA%\Firetrust\MailWasher in the Search bar, and press <Enter>, the location will be opened in Windows Explorer. Make a copy of these files somewhere safe.

2. Uninstall MailWasher, and when asked if you want to keep the data files say No.

3. Reinstall MailWasher.

If MailWasher now runs and you're happy with it, be happy.

If you had things like filters set up and you don't want to recreate them, then:

4. After closing MailWasher, go to the Start button, type %APPDATA%\Firetrust\MailWasher in the Search bar, and press <Enter>, and copy the files there to another safe location.

5. Then try copying the files from step 1 back into the %APPDATA%\Firetrust\MailWasher location one by one, restarting MailWasher after copying each file. If you copy a file and MailWasher fails to start then this is the corrupt file. You will then need to get a copy of this file from the "clean" copy that you made in set 4. After that you can continue copying the files from step 1, testing each time.

Note that the file names in the %APPDATA%\Firetrust\MailWasher location are pretty self explanatory, so I'd only copy the ones that look like they're going to be useful for the bits that are missing from the basic set up you have after reinstalling MailWasher in step 3.
Windows 10
judij42
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 am

Great suggestions. I'll give them both a try. Thank you.
judij42
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:24 pm

I finally sent an email to the support guys and their reply was to get *.net 4 repaired (done via control panel - search for .net 4 program and select repair)

That worked like a charm.

thank you so much for all of your wonderful suggestions. I do appreciate the time you took to answer me.

JJ
davephx
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:54 am

Just started freezing in Win 8 was working before. Now stops responding on start screen.

Net 4 is supposedly in Win 8 haven't found direct link to it in control panel or programs. Can try reinstall but seems odd worked fine until a day or so ago.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am

davephx wrote:Just started freezing in Win 8 was working before. Now stops responding on start screen.

Net 4 is supposedly in Win 8 haven't found direct link to it in control panel or programs. Can try reinstall but seems odd worked fine until a day or so ago.
MS has links to a .NET Repair tool.
Also there may be an issue with some of your MWP files being corrupted during system shut down. To see if it is the case go to Help, User Files. Note the directory name and then close MWP. Rename the directory so that MWP will not try to use the files and see if it will restart. Another thing would be to go to the control panel and Uninstall MWP and reply yes to keep user files and then download an reinstall to see if that solves the problem.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”