moving settings to new PC

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Anderson
Travelling Tuatara

moving settings to new PC

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 am

Even though I own the newest paid versions I prefer to use MW Pro 6.5.3. So the question concerns this version.
I just purchased a new Windows 7 PC and installed that MW on it. It installed fine and accepted my registration. What it did not do is

1. it did not seem to find the accounts from my Thunderbird default email agent and its import windows remain blank.
2. when it closes it tells me it could not write the black list for some reason.
3. I would like to move my settings, friends and black lists from the old broken PC to the new one. What do I copy to where?
4. Finally, I would like MW to put its settings, friends and black lists in my DATA (E:) partition instead of hidden in C: Is that possible? How?

Thanks.
Anderson
Travelling Tuatara

Re: moving settings to new PC

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:24 am

I wanted to add that MW has no problem finding Thunderbird and opening it from within TB but it does not seem to be able to import from it.
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:40 pm

The way that Thunderbird stores its account data has changed since the days when v6.x was current and so the import accounts feature doesn't work any more because it is trying to import the data in a different format. You should still be able to set up your accounts manually.

You should be able to transfer some of your settings to your new PC but not all. See http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/ma ... to-another for the instructions you need.
Anderson wrote:2. when it closes it tells me it could not write the black list for some reason.
Some people have reported problems with v6.x on Windows 7. This might be something that you have to live with since v6.x isn't being developed any further.
Anderson wrote:4. Finally, I would like MW to put its settings, friends and black lists in my DATA (E:) partition instead of hidden in C: Is that possible?
I don't think so.
Windows 10
Anderson
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.

I successfully transferred my blacklists. It is really a shame that MW cannot similarly transfer its accounts setup from one PC to another.

Thank you for replying.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:19 am

Anderson wrote:Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.

I successfully transferred my blacklists. It is really a shame that MW cannot similarly transfer its accounts setup from one PC to another.

Thank you for replying.
The V6 is a dinosaur that's no longer being fed - the latest MWP 2012 though, does have the capability to transfer it's accounts from one system to another. :devil

BTW, it's advisable to upgrade your 6.5.3 to the latest 6.5.4 ( http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailw ... 6/download )
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Anderson
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks.

I was not crazy about the fancied up newer versions but will give them another try.
Thanks.

a) How do I find the latest version of MW that I already purchased and where do I download it?
b) Do I remember correctly that the new MW licenses only good for 1 year only and need to be repurchased each year?
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Anderson wrote:a) How do I find the latest version of MW that I already purchased and where do I download it?
http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailw ... 2/download
Anderson wrote:b) Do I remember correctly that the new MW licenses only good for 1 year only and need to be repurchased each year?
Generally yes. Multi-year and lifetime licences are sometimes available.
Windows 10

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”