Need filter for long return addresses

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
us035976
Student Sheep

Need filter for long return addresses

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:57 am

A lot of my spam recently has had a return email address with a series of random lower case letters before the @ symbol. The common thing is that they are all a long series of characters (>12-15). Is there a way I can filter them out based on more than a certain number of characters before the @ symbol?
Rich
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Need filter for long return addresses

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:39 am

Yes use a regex filter that looks for more than the number of good lower case letters. I don't have my old v6 documentation around but if you search the forum you might find it. The v2012 version of MW has a similar regex engine so you might try their documentation to see if it is close enough.

http://www.regexlab.com/en/deelx/syntax.htm
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
us035976
Student Sheep

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 pm

I can figure out the RegExpr to count the number of characters. How do I make it only look at before the @ symbol in the 'From' field?
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:17 pm

To speed it up I'd look for a beginning of the line, the string "From:" ignore the colon and space (the ..) then your character count and finally the "@" which is a normal character. Something like this would probably work, I didn't test it though.

Code: Select all

^From..[:lower:]{12, }+@
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”