"Mailwasher Pro is already running'. But where is it?

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
martinlest
Travelling Tuatara

"Mailwasher Pro is already running'. But where is it?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi. When I reboot my laptop the Mailwasher process starts automatically, but the icon is nowhere to be seen in the system tray. The process shows in the Task Manager, but with no icon to click I cannot access the programme. I have to kill the process in Task manager every time and then restart it via the exe file (or shortcut to it). The icon then remains in the notification area until I next reboot.

Any idea why the programme icon is not appearing in the system tray? I use Windows 7 x64 and the icon is set to always show in 'customization'.

Thanks,

Martin
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: "Mailwasher Pro is already running'. But where is it?

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 am

There's one solution to this problem in http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 627#p48627

Other that that, check the Startup folder in the Start menu and make sure that MailWasher isn't there. If it is, delete it and start MailWasher manually once Windows has started up and settled down.
Windows 10
martinlest
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:21 am

Hi. I only have one instance of Mailwasher installed (6.5.4), as per link you posted.

In fact, I'd already removed MW from the startup folder and now start it up manually after a reboot (the icon's pinned to my Start Menu) - as I see you have just suggested. I thought that this would be OK until I find a solution, but in fact I might just as well leave the setup like this permanently, it's no great inconvenience.

Thanks for the replies,

Martin
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:22 pm

martinlest wrote:In fact, I'd already removed MW from the startup folder and now start it up manually after a reboot (the icon's pinned to my Start Menu) - as I see you have just suggested. I thought that this would be OK until I find a solution, but in fact I might just as well leave the setup like this permanently, it's no great inconvenience.
That's probably about as good as you're going to get.

There is no specific reason why the v6.x versions of MailWasher shouldn't run on Windows 7, but given that v6.x isn't being actively developed, little niggles like this are probably going to occur, and won't be fixed.
Windows 10
arm1940+mw
It begins with a single step

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:02 am

I too am having a problem with Mailwasher (latest downloadable version. I am now running Win 7 Home Premium on a Dell 8500 with an Intel I5 3rd gen and 8GB RAM. After receiving an mandatory MS update, the MW icon no longer appears in the tray but it shows up in Task Manager with no CPU and between 19 and 22 KB of storage. I can kill the process and try to manually restart it, but all I get is the splash screen (which I've left up for more than an hour), but still no icon. So it's worthless in that state.

I re-downloaded the latest update and ran it:

1. Repair. It ran and killed the ongoing process, but when I restarted, only a splash screen
2. Remove and reinstall (retaining settings). Same thing.
3. Remove and reinstall (deleting settings). Same thing.
4. Remove and reinstall and set compatibility to XP SP3. Same thing.
5. Remove and reinstall and set compatibility to XP SP2. Same thing.

Really do need some help here. I've got more than a dozen email addresses which I need to monitor and I'm not really happy to send the unfiltered junk into Outlook 2007 and have to try to deal with it there.

Hopefully you can help me quickly. Please let me know what I need to do.

Thanks,

Alan
martinlest
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:23 am

The zero CPU value in Task Manager is normal when the programme is active but not processing - mine also shows zero CPU and is working fine.

Do you get the same thing if MW doesn't start up with Windows? I have no trouble now that I start it 'manually' after a reboot. And presumably you have tried 'customizing' the system tray icons so that the MW icon is set to 'Show Icon and Notifications'?

Sorry if this is insultingly basic, but I don't know your level of PC expertise of course!

Martin
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:30 am

martinlest wrote:Any idea why the programme icon is not appearing in the system tray?
arm1940+mw wrote:After receiving an mandatory MS update, the MW icon no longer appears in the tray but it shows up in Task Manager with no CPU and between 19 and 22 KB of storage. I can kill the process and try to manually restart it, but all I get is the splash screen (which I've left up for more than an hour), but still no icon. So it's worthless in that state.
Can you guys see the MWP icon in your System Notification Area after following the step below?
Enigma.png
Enigma.png (78.04 KiB) Viewed 8845 times
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
martinlest
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:36 am

No, I already had that option checked, but it made no difference unchecking then rechecking the box - the icon was still not visible after rebooting.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 am

martinlest wrote:Do you get the same thing if MW doesn't start up with Windows? I have no trouble now that I start it 'manually' after a reboot.
Just tried (twice) starting up MWP with Windows and can confirm this is a bug - this old iteration (V6) does not seem to cope up well with Windows 7 when configured for a Windows startup. :(

Unfortunately, this one is not gonna be developed any more - BTW, we've always been advising folks to refrain from starting up MWP (even the other latest iteration MWP 20xx) with Windows.
Attachments
MWP_Startup.png
My V6 is broken in many arenas when required to startup with Windows.
MWP_Startup.png (74.58 KiB) Viewed 8836 times
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”