AVG flags mailpv.exe

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
WalterHawn
Rattled Rabbit

AVG flags mailpv.exe

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:29 am

DLed and installed the newest MW (6.4) an hour or so ago. During its daily scan a few minutes ago, AVG flagged a file called 'mailpv.exe' in the installed MW directory as "Potentially harmful program HackTool.GUM"

It seems to be a DOS application, and its removal doesn't seem to upset mailwasher. I have no other information on it.

Any ideas?

Walt
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: AVG flags mailpv.exe

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Yeah it's used when MailWasher imports your email accounts, as it's able to import your email passwords into MailWasher, so you won't have to remember what they are.

We'll likely remove it from the program though, the benefits of importing passwords isn't worth the hassle of AV programs firing all the time.
sndrdg
βeta Tester

Fri May 01, 2009 4:12 am

Mail PassView (mailpv.exe) has got to go - Sorry Chris for being so critical - but to use this password stealer even once (without implied or express permission of the user) is irresponsible - but to leave it around after installation and initial setup (and available to whomever) is VERY irresponsible. IMO, Future installs (if their will be any more) should remove this file and directory - and never install it again.
Very bad enhancement.

Regards,

Doug
Windows® 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit {EN}
AMD® Athalon™II x3 434 / Memory: 4GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (v341.44)
Thunderbird v2.0.0.24 / Firefox v53.0
Gmail via IMAP / Verizon Digital Voice via POP3
MailWasherPRO - v7.7
Al Darby
Guardian Gecko

Fri May 01, 2009 8:14 pm

FWIW, I agree with Doug, not exceedingly good practice.
Al
I come from a LAN downunder

3.6GHz Core i7 | 24GB RAM | 6TB HDD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD)
Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | VMWare for WinXP
(WinXP Mode Sux)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri May 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Me too :)

Changes to this is definitely coming, we'll be dumping the password importing unless we can do it without triggering the AV programs.
Al Darby
Guardian Gecko

Fri May 01, 2009 10:19 pm

rusticdog wrote:Me too :)

Changes to this is definitely coming, we'll be dumping the password importing unless we can do it without triggering the AV programs.
Chris,

Not sure why you'd bother. When OL imports email accounts, you still have to supply the passwords. Sure it's tedious, but it's not exactly a "twice a day" event. is it?
Al

(WinXP Mode Sux)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri May 01, 2009 11:33 pm

You'd be surprised the amount of folk that uninstall the program simply because they find the setup process too much....at least that's the feedback we seem to get a lot of in our uninstaller feedback form.....it's not uncommon to receive emails from people asking us what their email passwords are too o_O

So it was about trying to drop the number of uninstalls we were getting which would then....in theory....translate to a better conversion rate of people who then purchases the software.
Al Darby
Guardian Gecko

Sat May 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Fair comment Chris.

If it's only required on installs, why not discard it post install? It mightn't be a bad idea to tell people what you're doing as well ("Full Disclosure"). JMHO.
Al

(WinXP Mode Sux)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat May 02, 2009 4:42 pm

I was on the assumption it was supposed to be discarded after install, and a warning would appear when the user went to run the Import. However it seems there is no discarding being done, so anyone installing MW when they already have accounts setup (and therefore not requiring an Import) would still find these unnecessary files.

It might have already been altered, I'm not quite up to speed on where things are at. Will check in the office Monday
Huldin-the-Goth
Student Sheep

Sat May 02, 2009 8:21 pm

The problem with installing the program is that the some AV will detect it on installation and not allow the mailpv.exe file to be installed. You will only then have the folder with the read me plus program help file installed. Zonealarm Internet Security 8.0.298.035 will allow installation but Norton Internet Security 2009 will block it.

8)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”