Problem with 'My Filters'

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Willum08
Mystified Moa

Problem with 'My Filters'

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi,
I am currently using a registered copy of Mailwasher Pro version 6.5.3 and have a problem with the 'My Filters' facility. I recently created a new filter 'New Filter 11' to get rid of offensive emails. I configured the filter to take precedence over the Friends list, Hide the email, Blacklist the sender, Delete the email, Bounce the email and Automatically (without notification). I have defined several Rules within this Filter - all based on text within either the 'Subject' or 'From' fields and the filter is to be applied when any rule is satisfied within this filter. My email is received from a normal POP3 source.

Having defined the new filter, Mailwasher was still receiving and displaying emails, which were clearly defined within the new filter. I then tried adjusting the 'Filter Order' - placing the new filter at the top of the list of 10 other filters, closed Mailwasher and reopened it. The new filter then reacted as I would expect and blocked the newly defined rules.

My questions are -
1. Why does the filtering process only seem to work over a limited number of filter definitions?
2. Is there a limit on the number of filters which can be defined?
3. What is the point of being able to define additional filters, if only a limited number appear to work, from the top of the list?

Thank you for any comments/answers......
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: Problem with 'My Filters'

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 am

Willum08 wrote:Hi,
I am currently using a registered copy of Mailwasher Pro version 6.5.3 . . . . . . . . .
I suggest upgrading to the last 6.5.4 - it's a free update for you which contains many other (bug) fixes. :thumbsup

Willum08 wrote:I then tried adjusting the 'Filter Order' - placing the new filter at the top of the list of 10 other filters, closed Mailwasher and reopened it. The new filter then reacted as I would expect and blocked the newly defined rules.

My questions are -
1. Why does the filtering process only seem to work over a limited number of filter definitions?
Mails, quite often - are likely to be flagged by more than one rule and/or filter. MWP begins filtering from the top and (thankfully) stops scanning further, as soon as it detects the first hit - hence, the order of a filter/rule is critical in influencing which direction the MWP flag will eventually point to.

The filter order is a fundamental principle which applies even to e-mail clients and takes priority over everything else. 8)

Willum08 wrote:My questions are -
2. Is there a limit on the number of filters which can be defined?
3. What is the point of being able to define additional filters, if only a limited number appear to work, from the top of the list?

Thank you for any comments/answers......
While there may not seem to be a limit on the number of filters, the rules are quite restrictive (as compared to the V7) - however, since all of us (beta-testers) have migrated from the older V6 to the latest V7 ages ago, I cannot remember the precise break-point. In fact, this was just one of the many V6 stumbling-blocks that prompted most Users to shift to the V7. :devil
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Willum08
Mystified Moa

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:04 am

Thank for your reply - However, I don't understand the implication in your statement......

Quote : "Mails, quite often - are likely to be flagged by more than one rule and/or filter. MWP begins filtering from the top and (thankfully) stops scanning further, as soon as it detects the first hit - hence, the order of a filter/rule is critical in influencing which direction the MWP flag will eventually point to."

This would indicate that after Mailwasher finds a single 'Hit' it just gives up and neglects all the other defined filters and rules ! Surely not?
I would expect that it scans all emails within the received emails window and deal appropriately with each one, according to its status and settings and filters.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:03 am

Willum08 wrote:This would indicate that after Mailwasher finds a single 'Hit' it just gives up and neglects all the other defined filters and rules ! Surely not?
I would expect that it scans all emails within the received emails window and deal appropriately with each one, according to its status and settings and filters.
Nope - that's not what it indicates (you misunderstood.) :no

Once MWP detects a hit, it stops scanning its filters and rules - but, only for that particular message (rest of the messages present, are subjected to a full scan.)

Each e-mail is treated independently and scanned by all filters and rules until a hit is encountered - then, it works on the next e-mail meting out full treatment.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Willum08
Mystified Moa

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:33 am

OK - Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding :D

I still can't figure out why the order of filters is important..... Has this 'problem' been fixed in the latest version?

The reason I didn't upgrade from my present version 6.5.3, was that doing so, would have deleted all my filters and necessitated defining them all again. :cry:
I was advised by Jeremy Clark of this problem when the upgrade was made available back in 2010.

I understand that there is a third party utility which can be used to save/recover the filters and possibly the Blacklist/Whitelist files, or could I simply use a copy of the existing 'filters.txt' and blacklist.txt files in the MailWasherPro folder and replace them after upgrading to version 7 ?

Incidentally, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and Windows Live Mail as my email client.......

I really appreciate your help :)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 am

Willum08 wrote:OK - Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding :D

I still can't figure out why the order of filters is important..... Has this 'problem' been fixed in the latest version?
That's not a problem - filtration by order is a globally accepted principle; by design which is implemented by e-mail clients, too. This algorithm proves very useful - especially when a particular message qualifies under more than one rule/filter (the order part allows us more control and accuracy over the overall filtration.) ;)

Willum08 wrote:The reason I didn't upgrade from my present version 6.5.3, was that doing so, would have deleted all my filters and necessitated defining them all again. :cry:
I was advised by Jeremy Clark of this problem when the upgrade was made available back in 2010.

I understand that there is a third party utility which can be used to save/recover the filters and possibly the Blacklist/Whitelist files, or could I simply use a copy of the existing 'filters.txt' and blacklist.txt files in the MailWasherPro folder and replace them after upgrading to version 7 ?

Incidentally, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and Windows Live Mail as my email client.......

I really appreciate your help :)
If you're upgrading to the V7 - yes, you can use a 3rd party utility (I prefer to perform a manual copy-paste of the rules.) :)
Willum08
Mystified Moa

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:49 am

Thanks again for your further comments...

I'm sorry to 'Labour the point' but..... I cannot understand why the 11th filter which I created will only work if I reposition it at the top of the list of other filters.
The only two words which are used in the rules of the new filter are 'Pharmacy' and 'erection' and I have carefully checked through all my other filters and these words do not appear in any of their rules. So, the particular emails only qualify under the rules of filter number 11. If these words were included in any of the other filters, they presumably would have been detected and dealt with appropriately, making addition of the new filter unnecessary.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:04 am

Willum08 wrote:I cannot understand why the 11th filter which I created will only work if I reposition it at the top of the list of other filters.
The only two words which are used in the rules of the new filter are 'Pharmacy' and 'erection' and I have carefully checked through all my other filters and these words do not appear in any of their rules.
I suspect that one of the (higher) 10 filters (or even the preceding default ones) might probably contain a rule that's flagging the message under some parameter or the other (not necessarily - 'Pharmacy' and 'erection') before the 11th filter even gets an opportunity to scan it.

Maybe by raising the position of the 11th filter just 1-notch-per-MWP-restart, you might be able to identify the conflicting filter.
Willum08
Mystified Moa

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:42 am

I tried your suggestion but it seems that the only way to activate the rules in the new filter, is to have it at the top of the list :( Positioning it at any other location in the list just doesn't work !! I've looked at all the other filters and there are no conflicting rules in any of them - Weird :scratch
Anyway, I'll just live with it by placing that filter at the top of the list.........

Thanks again for your replies :thumbsup

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”