Training

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Deepeejay
Rattled Rabbit

Training

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm fed up with the same old spams appearing on my Gmail accounts so I decided to use Mailwasher to bounce them.

I regularly use 3 gmail accounts and they are all registered on Mailwasher . The accounts are all several years old and there are more than 9000 emails on the Google servers.
Mailwasher started by displaying several hundred emails from each account and I have reviewed all of them, marking them as from friends - clearly no spam was present.
I'm not sure what to do next.
When I logged on this morning Mailwasher started after my browser so my gmail main account presented me with 4 OK emails and one piece of spam - obviously I need to delay launching the browser to give Mailwasher a chance to work.

So.......

1) I thought of deleting all entries from the list but it's not clear whether that will delete them from the Google server.

2) No fresh entries are being displayed for further training.

Comments and help would be appreciated.

Deepeejay
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: Training

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:35 pm

A few points that may help:

1. Bouncing is of little use, and is unlikely to reduce the amount of spam you get.

2. Rather than bouncing, I think that you'll get better results using Gmail's own spam reporting function. If you really want to have an effect, start reporting spam to SpamCop. There are SpamCop instructions for the new version of MailWasher at http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10200 but they should be pretty applicable to the old version. If you need instructions for this version, search this forum. Note that reporting to SpamCop is unlikely to have much effect for at least 6 months.

3. You said:
When I logged on this morning Mailwasher started after my browser so my gmail main account presented me with 4 OK emails and one piece of spam - obviously I need to delay launching the browser to give Mailwasher a chance to work.
You need to run MailWasher and wash the mail for MailWasher to delete the spam - this doesn't happen automatically. Also, Gmail handles deletions in a specific way, so you'll probably find the deleted spam in Gmail's All Mail folder. I'm not sure whether there is a way to deal with this - I get very little spam in my Gmail accounts so when some does appear, I just use Gmail's spam reporting.

4. You said:
I thought of deleting all entries from the list but it's not clear whether that will delete them from the Google server.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I move all the old mail to a folder within Gmail. Then MailWasher only sees the new stuff. Note that what you see will depend upon whether MailWasher is accessing your Gmail accounts using POP3 or IMAP. It is probably best that you do some searching in this forum or in http://forum.firetrust.com/viewforum.php?f=50 to see how others who use Gmail for intensively than I do set things up to find the method that will work best for you.
Windows 10
Deepeejay
Rattled Rabbit

Re: Training

Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Mailwasher's probably not for me I think.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”