Classifying E-mails as spam

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Slim2
Student Sheep

Classifying E-mails as spam

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:25 pm

E-mails have been getting past Mailwasher by adding parentheses and the symbol @ to my e-mail address. For example: If my user name was Joedoakes@frontier.com, a number of spam e-mails that I receive show in the heading to read "Joedoakes@frontier.com"@ Note the quotation marks and the added @ symbol. I have been unable to add this heading to my Mailwasher blacklist so it can be identified and deleted before downloading. Everything I have tried I get a notice that this type of e-mail address is incorrect and cannot be added to the blacklist. Of course I do not want to put my correct e-mail address on the blacklist.
Is there a way for me to get e-mail with the added parentheses and @ symbol onto my blacklist so it can be filtered out?
Sincerely,
Slim2
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Classifying E-mails as spam

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Without seeing one of the emails, could you just create a filter that deleted emails with
"@

You should never see a quote, followed by the @, so I cannot see this flagging legit emails.
Slim2
Student Sheep

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:15 pm

Firetrust Monkey, thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and I get the same message as when I try to get "@ added to my blacklist. A box comes up that says "E-mail address is not properly formed. " In other words it cannot be added as a filter to my blacklist.
Any other suggestions?
Slim2
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Right yeah, I wasn't clear enough. If the email address MailWasher interprets is malformed, that is, not a valid email address it won't let you blacklist. This is to prevent odd entries that could potentially do more harm than good.

So the blacklist is just no good here, the 'fix' is to probably create a custom filter that sets to recognize these emails as junk, and if the performance of the filter is good, then set to auto-delete.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:23 pm

The custom filter you want to create would be
If the FROM field CONTAINS "@
Slim2
Student Sheep

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Dear rusticdog,
I set up the filter as you suggested---I think--- and now I just have to see how it works when I next receive e-mail that has the FROM that contains "@
I will be back in touch with you to give results probably tomorrow.
Best regards,
Slim2
Slim2
Student Sheep

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:12 am

Dear rusticdog,
When I checked my e-mail today my Mailwasher program came up and among the items shown in red were three e-mails that were shown (in blue) to be filtered with the delete box checked. It appears that your solution to filter the From on arriving e-mails worked like a charm.
I will keep you posted if future e-mails appear not to be filtered out. But for now let me give you my sincere thanks for help in solving a perplexing problem.
With best regards,
Slim2
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:16 pm

Great, glad to hear it.
Slim2
Student Sheep

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:08 am

Dear rusticdog,
Just to let you know how valuable and useful Mailwasher is to me now - today I received 38 e-mails. Three of them were good messages and 35 of them were spam. 6 of the 35 that were spam were identified as 'filtered' and in blue.
Your help was invaluable and greatly appreciated.
With best regards,
Slim2
Slim2
Student Sheep

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:14 am

Dear Rusticdog,
I am still receiving e-mails that should be filtered out but are escaping because I have not properly Identified them as SPAM. They are not too large in number and the form they take varies. Perhaps I never will be able to filter them all. If a particular class of these SPAM items gets too large I'll have to request your assistance again.
Is there a limit to the number of items that can be designated as SPAM to be Blacklisted?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Slim2 wrote:Dear Rusticdog,
I am still receiving e-mails that should be filtered out but are escaping because I have not properly Identified them as SPAM. They are not too large in number and the form they take varies. Perhaps I never will be able to filter them all. If a particular class of these SPAM items gets too large I'll have to request your assistance again.
Is there a limit to the number of items that can be designated as SPAM to be Blacklisted?
I'm not sure if we do have a limit in place for the blacklist, if we do it will be in the tens of thousands though, so no need to worry about going over that.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”