6.1 bogs down

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
docb
It begins with a single step

6.1 bogs down

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:02 pm

It seems like as the blacklist grows just a bit, the program runs quite slowly.

Is this better in newer versions?
Is there a solution for it?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: 6.1 bogs down

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:08 pm

It depends just how large we're talking. But under Tools >> Spam Tools >> My Blacklist >> List Options >> you can set addresses that haven't matched/been added lately to expire >> you could try around 30-60 days, I think the default is 90 which could grow quite large over time.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: 6.1 bogs down

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:15 pm

docb wrote:It seems like as the blacklist grows just a bit, the program runs quite slowly.
Unfortunately, that is an inevitable doctrine that holds true for all types of blocking programs (not limited to MailWasher.)

docb wrote:Is this better in newer versions?
Better . . . . . . . . yes — to a certain point (the doctrine does kick into play in the longer run, though.)

docb wrote:Is there a solution for it?
Was forced to use a whitelist policy (instead of the more commonly used blacklist) after earning the wrath of spammers — the blacklist policy does not cope up with my kind of mail upsurge (not even on the latest V7.)

Needless to mention, I prefer to employ the whitelist doctrine even in other walks of computing, such as firewalling, ad. blocking, etc., etc.

ps:—
  • If your inbounds are just about average, you might want to persist with your present blacklist implementation.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”