SPAM with no 'To' email address

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
martinlest
Travelling Tuatara

SPAM with no 'To' email address

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:31 pm

I am starting to get dozens of SPAM emails that are bypassing my filters (MS 6.5.4) by somehow showing no 'To' email address - the 'To' column in MW is blank.

How are these emails coming to me if my email address is not showing? And, moreover, how would I set up a filter for these - I can't see anything else they have in common, apart from all having the usual long string of random characters in the senders' email addresses.

Thanks.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: SPAM with no 'To' email address

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:09 am

martinlest wrote:I am starting to get dozens of SPAM emails that are bypassing my filters (MS 6.5.4) by somehow showing no 'To' email address - the 'To' column in MW is blank.
There are a number of other fields which can be utilized such as From, Subject, CC, body, return path and entire header — personally, I fancy the return path. ;)

martinlest wrote:And, moreover, how would I set up a filter for these - I can't see anything else they have in common, apart from all having the usual long string of random characters in the senders' email addresses.

Thanks.
Right click the message and use the View complete header on your context menu, to inspect and take remedial action. :thumbsup
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Without seeing one of these emails, I would imagine you could create a Filter in MailWasher, that looked at the TO field, where it does not contain @
martinlest
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Excellent idea! (Why didn't I think of it??!!).. I'll try it, but I haven't had any such emails in the past 36 hours to test it on. I'll add such a filter now anyway.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”