Having trouble changing password for an account

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Slim2
Student Sheep

Having trouble changing password for an account

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:14 am

The pass word for my server was changed to comply with a new standard. Since then I have not been able to download e-mail. The apparent reason is that the password in Mailwasher 6.5.4 must be changed to be able to access the server but I have been unable to change the password in Mailwasher. I can type in a new password in the account profile but as soon as I leave the screen it apparently goes back to the old password. I tried deleting that account and establishing a new account but that did not solve the problem. Using the Wizard did not solve the problem.
Mail is piling up at the server and I cannot access it.
Your help will be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Slim2
Slim2
Student Sheep

Re: Having trouble changing password for an account

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Slim2 wrote:The pass word for my server was changed to comply with a new standard. Since then I have not been able to download e-mail. The apparent reason is that the password in Mailwasher 6.5.4 must be changed to be able to access the server but I have been unable to change the password in Mailwasher. I can type in a new password in the account profile but as soon as I leave the screen it apparently goes back to the old password. I tried deleting that account and establishing a new account but that did not solve the problem. Using the Wizard did not solve the problem.
Mail is piling up at the server and I cannot access it.
Your help will be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Slim2
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Not heard of that before, in MailWasher I assume you're in Settings >> Email Accounts >> and altering the password in the Incoming tab >> then be sure to hit OK to Save the change. It could be worth then exiting MailWasher through File >> Exit >> and restarting the program to ensure all alterations were indeed saved.

You could to try running the file attached, inside is show_pass.exe >> run this and hit the Refresh button >> it will how your passwords in your email programs >> just to be sure you're typing in the right password into MailWasher.
Attachments
password.zip
(453.9 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
Slim2
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:04 am

Dear rusticdog,
Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestions without success.
I went to >>Settings>>Email Accounts>> and altered/changed the password at >>Incoming>>. I then had to go to >>Advanced>> to get where I could click >>OK>>.. This did not change the password. I then repeated this but continued to >>Outgoing>> in order to get another >>OK>>. This did not change the password. I then repeated the procedure and >>Exited Mailwasher>>. Started over and again the password was not changed. I can tell this by the number of characters in the password.
Next, I tried to use the password.zip that you provided. I was unable to get the server password to download. I am confident that the server password is correct because I can use it to log in to the mail on the server.
I am at a loss of how to proceed now. Your continued help will be appreciated.
Sincerely, Slim2
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:25 am

Perform the following operation at your own peril. :|

Navigate to and backup the following registry key before deleting the affected account listed thereunder and then recreate the same from scratch:—
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\Prefs\accounts]
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Slim2
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:38 am

Thank you Trustfire for your response.
I am not at all familiar with editing the Registry. It would be my luck to foul everything up royally if I tried.
Best regards,
Slim2
Slim2
Student Sheep

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:45 am

Dear rusticdog,
Have you had a chance to review my last reply to you? Is there any other info that I can furnish that may help define the problem further and the attempts that have been made so far to solve the problem ?
Sincerely,
Slim2

Dear rusticdog,

Is there another way I can contact you to try to get this problem resolved?
Sincerely,
Slim2
Slim2
Student Sheep

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:16 am

At the present time my Mailwasher appears to be working satisfactorily. I will continue to monitor this forum and hope the new Firetrust Overlords will permit me to do so.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”