Wizcrafts Custom MailWasher Pro Filters discussed here

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Wizcrafts
Guardian Gecko

Re: Wizcrafts Custom MailWasher Pro Filters discussed here

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:42 pm

I updated my filters tonight, for all versions. The changes were made to Known Spam Subjects #4 and Watches ([F or S] in version 6.x). I also made a color change to the "Loans" filter, in the new XML version, and added a question mark to its designation.
Submitted respectfully by Wiz.
Member of the MailWasher Beta Tester Team
Fighting spam by writing, updating and publishing MailWasher Pro custom filters.
See www.wizcrafts.net/mwp-filters.html
Wizcrafts
Guardian Gecko

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:40 am

[Edit : I deleted Sophias account, looked like spam : rusticdog]

Good points, Sophia. We spam fighters have known these things for decades, but the average person doesn't realize these facts at first. I have been asked many time how spammers got the email account of this or that person.

In a nutshell, person A has a brand new email account and sends a message to her friend, person B. Person B decides to share a funny email message with all of her friends, using the C.C. (Carbon Copy) sending function in her email client. One or more of those recipients has a recently acquired Trojan on his computer, unbeknownst to him or the other members of this recipient group. The Trojan contains a component which reads the headers of all incoming and outgoing email messages and extracts the To and From data. The extracted email accounts and common names are sent to the spammer who controls that particular Trojan, to be added to his list of active email accounts to be spammed.

In the case of C.C. group messages, all of the recipients names and email addresses are exposed in plain text to each recipient, as a list at the top of each forwarded section. I have seen some messages that have been forwarded multiple times, containing hundreds of email accounts spread over several sections. Every recipient in a C.C. group will have their email account added to a spam database if just one of them has an email harvesting Trojan on their computer.
Fighting spam by writing, updating and publishing MailWasher Pro custom filters.
Baldwin Merys
It begins with a single step

Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Pierre wrote:Wiz, your link does not work as it has a comma in it instead of a full stop e cig. :bow
Yeah I also search for it but negative.
Wizcrafts
Guardian Gecko

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:07 am

I have been fairly busy lately, updating my custom MailWasher filters to respond to the current crop of spam and malspam. Anybody wishing to be informed every time I upload changes to the filters page can use the on-page link to Monitor For Changes with ChangeDetection.com.

Some of the types of spam my filters now detect and delete include the following:
  • Known spam [From], which detects known hostile senders and domains, as well as IP addresses of frequently infected PCs.
  • Pump and Dump junk stock scams. I update this filer as soon as I detect a new or altered pump and dump spam run. In fact, I just added a brand new P&D scam for the symbol ECGR that was spammed out beginning on the morning of June 13, 2017.
  • A new filter that detects a particular spambot's smtp email sending module; X-PHP-Originating-Script Spam
  • Weight Loss Scams that never totally go away. When they return, I update the appropriate filters.
These are just a few of the recently updated spam filters.
Due to the heavy load my filters place on MailWasher Pro 6,5,4, I have split the extra long Regular Expressions filter for Pump and Dump Scam #2 into two new smaller filters, with the first one having only the most recently spammed P&D symbols. The second filters contains the previously spammed stock symbols. You can disable it until it is needed again. Just keep it below the one labeled "Recent Pump and Dump Scams"

MailWasher Pro 7 and newer have a different filter parsing system and can accept longer filters with only minor slow downs, depending on how fast your computer's CPU is and how much RAM you have installed.
Wizcrafts
Guardian Gecko

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 am

I have been fairly busy lately, updating my custom MailWasher filters to respond to the current crop of spam and malspam. Anybody wishing to be informed every time I upload changes to the filters page can use the on-page link to Monitor For Changes with ChangeDetection.com.

Some of the types of spam my filters now detect and delete include the following:
  • Known spam [From], which detects known hostile senders and domains, as well as IP addresses of frequently infected PCs.
  • Pump and Dump junk stock scams. I update this filer as soon as I detect a new or altered pump and dump spam run. In fact, I just added a brand new P&D scam for the symbol ECGR that was spammed out beginning on the morning of June 13, 2017.
  • A new filter that detects a particular spambot's smtp email sending module; X-PHP-Originating-Script Spam
  • Weight Loss Scams that never totally go away. When they return, I update the appropriate filters.
These are just a few of the recently updated spam filters.
Due to the heavy load my filters place on MailWasher Pro 6,5,4, I have split the extra long Regular Expressions filter for Pump and Dump Scam #2 into two new smaller filters, with the first one having only the most recently spammed P&D symbols. The second filters contains the previously spammed stock symbols. You can disable it until it is needed again. Just keep it below the one labeled "Recent Pump and Dump Scams"

MailWasher Pro 7 and newer have a different filter parsing system and can accept longer filters with only minor slow downs, depending on how fast your computer's CPU is and how much RAM you have installed.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”