Error involving Friends and Blacklist

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
wizard
Rattled Rabbit

Error involving Friends and Blacklist

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:23 am

Hi,

Been using Mailwasher Pro across many OS upgrades up to my current Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Version of Mailwasher Pro is 6.5.4. It's been working fine since upgrading from Win 7 to 10 when 10 first became available a couple years ago..

A few days ago I had a rare problem where I needed to revert to a 3 day old windows restore. I was a problem that was affecting several programs.

The restore brought everything back to normal. However I am left with one remaining problem with MailWasher Pro. I believe the problem with MW Pro might have existed prior to the restore and is not related to the original problem.

The error MW Pro is giving me is:
Could not save the blacklist file (this includes the friends list); Cannot create file "C: xxx AppData\Roaming\MailWasherPro\Blacklist.txt". Access is denied (EFCreateError)

Most of the emails are now marked as "spam" and I have to manually change them to good, and leave the bad ones still marked as spam. However after the edited list is processed I again get that error.

- Rich
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: Error involving Friends and Blacklist

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:44 am

Run MailWasher >>----> (navigate to) Help >>----> About >>----> (click the last link right at the bottom) >>----> (close MailWasher and ensure that it is not running as a background process) >>----> (in the Explorer Window that popped open, move) Blacklist.txt (to a different location, to serve as a backup.)

If you lose your Blacklist and/or Friends List, you can copy the contents from the backup, Blacklist.txt.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
wizard
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 am

Tried the suggested info. Still no joy. I've manually shut down MW, then navigated to the user's applications and roaming and made a copy of the blacklist (backup file) which I stored elsewhere. Then I deleted both the blacklist files (working file and backup file). Then I copied the saved blacklist backup file from it's external location back into the MW user's folder.

Everything seems normal. All my friends are listed etc. However when ever I shut down MailWasher I still get that error. Also there are about a dozen emails that are always listed in the MW screen. They never go away normally. I have several email accounts and it looks like some of the emails from just one account are not getting purged.

So far I haven't lost anything, but I have to remember when running my regular email client that I have to open up mail washer to manually delete the dozens of emails that won't auto-purge? from MW.

My computer is programmed to do an incremental backup every time I shut down the computer. And for some reason, it cannot close the MW program and I get the aforementioned error that stops my backup program from continuing. Normally I just "shut down" Windows and walk away. The back up program shuts down any running apps and then does the backup after which it turns off the computer. A "smart" power device then sees that the computer is no longer running and it automatically turns off the monitors, printers etc.

This makes my system backups totally automatic and worry free. But Mail Washer isn't working or shutting down properly causing an error that stops the whole backup process. But of course if I manually shut down MW then the shutdown process is fine.

This problem is actually my own fault as I have been too busy to deal with it and have been just manually shutting everything down and ignoring the MW error message. Now a few weeks later I realize that the oldest backup I have has the MW problem. That'll teach me to not ignore what I thought was a minor problem. <grin>

So other than the backup of the blacklist, is there any way to save all my MW email configuration? I have 6 email accounts and I'm hoping I can just uninstall MW and then replace the blackist and the configuration for those 6 accounts. Otherwise I guess I'll have to just manually install all those accounts again. Or does anyone have an idea what is causing that error ?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:46 pm

wizard wrote:However when ever I shut down MailWasher I still get that error.
  1. Download and install Unlocker (if you didn't already possess this neat little tool, you have been missing out.)
  2. Navigate to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming
  3. Right-click the MailWasherPro directory >>----> Unlocker
  4. Right-click Blacklist.txt directory >>----> Unlocker
  5. Report back. :thumbsup
wizard wrote:And for some reason, it cannot close the MW program and I get the aforementioned error that stops my backup program from continuing. Normally I just "shut down" Windows and walk away. The back up program shuts down any running apps and then does the backup after which it turns off the computer.

This makes my system backups totally automatic and worry free. But Mail Washer isn't working or shutting down properly causing an error that stops the whole backup process. But of course if I manually shut down MW then the shutdown process is fine.
This is not a good computing practice and most likely the root cause of your issue.

wizard wrote:So other than the backup of the blacklist, is there any way to save all my MW email configuration? I have 6 email accounts and I'm hoping I can just uninstall MW and then replace the blackist and the configuration for those 6 accounts. Otherwise I guess I'll have to just manually install all those accounts again.
You can backup the following key:—
  • [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro]
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
wizard
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:13 pm

You can backup the following key:—

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro]

Thanks for the above info. I've fixed the problem. Thanks to that registry info I was able to export the original MW registry data, then un-install MW, clean the Registry of all Mail Washer and Firetrust data and then install MW from scratch.. After the new install I imported the saved registry entries restored my original Blacklist and Whitelist and ran mail washer. Everything works perfectly now as it has been for several years. I was happy I didn't have to setup MW and reprogram all my email accounts and extensive white and black lists.

As for the This is not a good computing practice and most likely the root cause of your issue. comment .. I take exception to that. I've been around computers for a pretty long time. My current backup scheme has been used for the last 10 years and it's pretty much bullet proof.

And about the reference to Iobit's unlock application. I know enough to be able work with permissions and locked files without the need of a third party utility. But thanks for the suggestion. All help is always appreciated. :thumbsup

So all is good again. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:27 pm

wizard wrote:My current backup scheme has been used for the last 10 years and it's pretty much bullet proof.
The existence of this thread is living proof of that — isn't it? ;)

wizard wrote:Thanks for the help and suggestions.
:thumbsup

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”