First time on the board need help

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
hopla
Mystified Moa

First time on the board need help

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 pm

Dear Forum,
This is my first time on the board and I hardly know where to begin to post or if I am doing this right.
I have Mailwasher Pro 6.2 and love the convinience.
However, I have discovered that a friend of mine ended up in the black list. Yes, I know how to get him out of there but do not know where to find the deleted mail where I could possibly find out how many of his emails I missed.
So my question is,
Where do I find the deleted mail ? and
How do I reinstate the old missed email ?

I am grateful for any help,

A Senior in need
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: First time on the board need help

Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi Hopla

Your doing pretty good so far :)

If you click on the Recycle Bin button you should be shown a list of email that has been deleted, and from there (assuming it has been setup) be able to restore a deleted email by clicking on it and selecting "Restore Email"

You may also just wish to email this person and ask they resend the emails to you as well, as is the emails were large in content, MailWasher may not have stored the entire message, just the part it saw.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:08 pm

You might want to be careful adding things to the blacklist since spammers forge other's addresses to their spam and you could blacklist someone that just had their address stolen.
hopla
Mystified Moa

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:13 am

rusticdog wrote:Hi Hopla

Your doing pretty good so far :)

If you click on the Recycle Bin button you should be shown a list of email that has been deleted, and from there (assuming it has been setup) be able to restore a deleted email by clicking on it and selecting "Restore Email"

You may also just wish to email this person and ask they resend the emails to you as well, as is the emails were large in content, MailWasher may not have stored the entire message, just the part it saw.
Hi rusticdog,
I much appreciate the help given and it worked as you said. Only thing is that only the month of Sept. is in the RECYCLE BIN and I wish I could see further back.
I was trying to reply to you in color, highlighted my answer, clicked a color but nothing but numbers showed in the beginning and end of my writing. What is it I am doing wrong?
Many thanks for your help and your click by click instructions a novice like me is most grateful for.

hopla

PS. do we have a spell check on this board?
hopla
Mystified Moa

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:15 am

stan_qaz wrote:You might want to be careful adding things to the blacklist since spammers forge other's addresses to their spam and you could blacklist someone that just had their address stolen.

Thank you for the warning, you make a valid point.

hopla
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi hopla

Those numbers you see when changing the font colour are called an "RGB triplet in hexidecimal format", it's a bit of a mouthful, I guess as long as you know it works, then that's OK. You can also type the colours yourself for example.
By replacing the # and numbers with just the basic colour would also work.

Code: Select all

[color=red]red[/color]
As you can see in your above reply, when using the "Quote" button instead of "Post Reply" it changes the background colour of the text you reply to as well, which makes it easier to read.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:18 pm

With regards to seeing further back, MailWasher is probably only storing a couple of weeks of deleted email, you can change this by going into Settings >> Recycle Bin Options >> you will see the number of days here that you can change.

If you receive large volumes of email though that you delete in MailWasher, you might notice the performance of MailWasher degrade if you store too much deleted email. I would suggest no more than 30 days personally.

For the Spell Checker, I'll see if we can add something like that into this board, I use the built in spell checkers that come with the web browser I use, however if I understand it right, Internet Explorer has no spell checker, so perhaps something we should add into the forum.
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:30 pm

If you are using Internet Explorer you can add in 'ieSpell' as a spell checker. It appears on your tool bar as 'abc' with a tick. It is a freebee. :wink:
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Ah, right you are :)
ieSpell can be found here http://www.iespell.com
hopla
Mystified Moa

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:07 pm

rusticdog wrote:Hi hopla

Those numbers you see when changing the font colour are called an "RGB triplet in hexidecimal format", it's a bit of a mouthful, I guess as long as you know it works, then that's OK. You can also type the colours yourself for example.
By replacing the # and numbers with just the basic colour would also work.

Code: Select all

[color=red]red[/color]
As you can see in your above reply, when using the "Quote" button instead of "Post Reply" it changes the background colour of the text you reply to as well, which makes it easier to read.
Hi rusticdog,
Thank you on all counts, your help is appreciated and certainly I learned from it.

hopla
hopla
Mystified Moa

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:26 pm

rusticdog wrote:With regards to seeing further back, MailWasher is probably only storing a couple of weeks of deleted email, you can change this by going into Settings >> Recycle Bin Options >> you will see the number of days here that you can change.

If you receive large volumes of email though that you delete in MailWasher, you might notice the performance of MailWasher degrade if you store too much deleted email. I would suggest no more than 30 days personally.

For the Spell Checker, I'll see if we can add something like that into this board, I use the built in spell checkers that come with the web browser I use, however if I understand it right, Internet Explorer has no spell checker, so perhaps something we should add into the forum.
Hi again rusticdog
I so much appreciate you sticking with me to help me out. Many thanks for the guideline on how to find what I needed to look for. I found it and set it accordingly.
I will in no way tell anyone what to do but a spell-check on the board would be handy.

Grateful,

hopla
hopla
Mystified Moa

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Pierre wrote:If you are using Internet Explorer you can add in 'ieSpell' as a spell checker. It appears on your tool bar as 'abc' with a tick. It is a freebee. :wink:
Hi Pierre,
Thank you much for the input and the help suggested.

I am always grateful for a helping hand,

hopla
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:53 pm

We did some research on existing Spell Checking add-ons, however they all seem to run from a MySQL database, whereas this forum board uses PostGres.

I'd recommend installing a browser based Spell Checker anyway, as then at least you have the Spell Checking feature across all websites you enter information into.
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Here is a link for a Firefox speller.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
hopla
Mystified Moa

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Pierre wrote:If you are using Internet Explorer you can add in 'ieSpell' as a spell checker. It appears on your tool bar as 'abc' with a tick. It is a freebee. :wink:
Hi Pierre and all you so helpful people. I first want to thank all of you for your time and the help so freely given. I truly appreciate all of you.
I must tell you I do not get to go on the pc as mush as I would like to. My husband had a lung removed this summer and time for myself is really at a premium.
Anyway I would still like to get a spell checker (I do have Internet Explorer 7) and wonder were I can find this ieSpell checker you are talking a bout, so I can download it?

Also if I mess up on this message board please be forgiving as half of the time I am not really sure if I am doing or pushing the right thing.

Thanks, hopla

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”