Down loading email problem

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Graham35
Rattled Rabbit

Down loading email problem

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:33 am

Hi, I have been using mailwasher pro now for several years and have introduced it to a lot of my friends and colleagues, because I have always regarded it as a superb bit of software. I am usng mailwasher pro 6.1
My problem is as follows:

Today I have got a broadband connection, first time ever, now when I click the "check mail" button it initiates the check and tells me how many emails there are - but it stops at that, as though I no longer have an INTERNET connection,(I have a connection and can surf the net no problem) then I get the session message error.
I assume that perhaps the modem software is blocking the mailwasher account through its security, but I have no real idea whats going on here, it was fine this morning on a wifi connection before the broadband connection.

Any ideas please would be helpful.

Many thanks
Graham
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Re: Down loading email problem

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:22 am

Try changing your Internet Connection Options settings. Open the Connection Options window via Options >> Connection Options and change Internet Connection type to "Assume I'm Online"
JoeWatson
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:02 am

I have the same problem. I have reset the mail options until I'm blue in the face. I really wish you guys would fix this problem. I have a screen shot of this error but ........ you guys haven't provided a way to post it. What a shame ..... Great program . But I may have to uninstall it. But you guys don't care, you got the money.
Joe W.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:35 pm

JoeWatson wrote:But you guys don't care, you got the money.
Joe W.
*as I'm rolling around in all your monies*......muwhahaha.......muwhahaha......

OK, enough of that, I have to go pick up my new Lamborghatti Fasterosa soon.

As Ikeb suggests, when you switch from a dial up type connection to broadband then changing that connection option to "Assume I'm Online" is very recommended.

I think you can rule out a Firewall program blocking MailWasher, as you suggest it is able to connect to the account OK (a Firewall would block that from happening), so it's in the process of downloading the email that the problem is occurring, this can happen for a variety of reasons. The most common reason we come across is that an AntiVirus email scanner is intercepting with the communication between MailWasher and the email server, and in this process it's somehow causing MailWasher to disconnect.
So should the above not work, then try disabling your AntiVirus email scanner (not the whole program, just the email scanning) this doesn't make your PC vulnerable to viruses, as your AntiVirus real time protection will still be running that way.

Should that not work, then creating and sending a debug file is the next best option. To create a file, in MailWasher click on Help >> About >> enable extended logging, and click on the link to where MailWasher stores the data files >> then go back into MailWasher and make this problem a few times >> Exit the program >> go back into the folder you opened earlier and email the mailwasherpro_debug.txt file. You can email it through to me at mw-beta*firetrust.com (replace the * with @)

Thanks
JoeWatson
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:32 pm

Admin whore!
I have had this problem for 6 months. I have done all your little hoops and incantations and it didn't help. I continue to have a login problem ...... even after killing my old account and establishing a new one with the help of Comcast. The problem persists.
I compiled a debug txt and sent to you and have heard nothing.
Whats up? Fix the damn thing or I'm outa here!
Joe W.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:43 pm

I haven't received any debug file. So until I see that, there is nothing I can do except speculate.

If you've emailed one through to Firetrust support before, then let me know your ticket number and I can take a look in the ticketing system.
Graham35
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:56 am

Well I seem to have sirred up a hornets nest with this - sorry about that...

My settings were already set as the suggestion implied, so it was not that, but now everything is working superb again, with out further adjustment on mailwasher or my pc....obviously an Internet gremlin.

I thank you all for the comments and help, I am now going to slink away, remove my helmet and gloves and relax away from any more aggression..

Many thanks
Graham
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 am

Graham, do drop in from time to time, lots of good folks, information and tips show up here.

Consider folks like Joe for what they are and just have a chuckle at their ranting. We babysit a 2 year old so we get a lot of that here.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:09 pm

yeap, and no need to apologise either :)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”