Adding to 'My Friends List'

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
grumpyxch
Mystified Moa

Adding to 'My Friends List'

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:32 am

I have got Mailwasher Pro 6.5.4. I have just found an iffy address in the 'My Friends List'. I thought that only addresses that I add to this list would get in that list. Is there some other way addresses can be added without me knowing about it? The iffy address had a friends name before the '@', but not her correct address for the remainder. Her correct address was not on my list at all

Thanks for any help
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Adding to 'My Friends List'

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 am

Hi there

Under Settings >> select Learning under the Spam Tools section on the left >> there is an option, second from the bottom, to add a person to your Friends List when you Train an email as Good.
grumpyxch
Mystified Moa

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:06 pm

The Learning section appears to be set up correctly. Over the last few days, I have received two emails, both with Sender Addresses that began with my friends name, the first having an iffy name after the @, the second having her correct address. Both arrived in Mailwasher marked as Spam, neither got any further than that. Her correct address should have been in the Friends List for some years now, but it wasn't there. What was there was her name with some ridiculous address after the @. If that iffy address got onto my Friends List because I accidently accepted an email from it, what happened to the correct address?
I have edited the iffy address to now read her correct address so hopefully, that will solve the problem. However, I thought I would ask the security question
Thanks for your help
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Check under Settings >> My Friends List >> click List Options on the right >> uncheck the two options to Expire addresses in the Friends List. Just to be sure the addresses don't get cleaned up in the routine maintenance.

Is it possible you didn't get a message from this sender for the default 200 days, as that would remove the address from the list. I can't think of any other way the address would have been removed.

Cheers
grumpyxch
Mystified Moa

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:34 am

Yes it is possible I hadn't heard from her for 200+ days. I usually communicate with her husband (don't read anything into this, both of them have been friends of my wife and myself for more than 40 years, but live at opposite ends of the country). I didn't know that unused addresses would eventually be removed from the list.

Does MW Pro label by default any email from an address it doesn't recognise, because it isn't on the Friends List? That would explain why the email from the genuine address was labelled as Spam

Thanks for your help
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:42 am

OK great, definitely have those expire options off, so in future this won't happen.

The Learning feature of MailWasher would have been what set the email as Spam, so when MailWasher gets one wrong, just be sure to correct it using the Thumbs Up for Good, Thumbs Down for Spam.
I can only assume it had wording that also matched some emails that have previously been trained as spam, as long as you keep correcting MailWasher when it is wrong, it will get better each time.

Cheers
grumpyxch
Mystified Moa

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 am

I seem to have an extra query. I deleted all mention of my friend in the 'My FriendList', and then got her to send me a test email. When it arrived in MailWasher, it was labelled as Spam. I clicked on Spam which set it to a good email. I then got Thunderbird to load the email into my In Tray. I checked the Sender Address on this email and it stated it was from name@yahoo.co.uk, but when I checked the 'My FriendList' in MailWasher, it now includes her yahoo.co.uk address plus another (name@yahoo.com). Do yahoo emails have both versions of address even though only one is visible?
Curiouser and curiouser
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:10 pm

No, I wouldn't expect that. MailWasher should have just added the address was in the From field.

I had a quick test with MailWasher 6 and can't repeat the same scenario, for now just keep your eyes on it, with the expiry options disabled it will be hopefully trouble free missing your good senders.

Cheers
grumpyxch
Mystified Moa

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks very much.
grumpyxch
Mystified Moa

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 am

If it is not too late to ask, in the 'My Friends List', what difference does the tick make alongside each address?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:13 am

grumpyxch wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 am
If it is not too late to ask, in the 'My Friends List', what difference does the tick make alongside each address?
Not at all.
Unchecking disables that address from being checked against your emails.
grumpyxch
Mystified Moa

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:56 pm

Thanks. Sorry for delay in replying - been rather busy

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”