MailWasher 6.2 & WXP SP3

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
glenf
Mystified Moa

MailWasher 6.2 & WXP SP3

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:09 am

I installed MailWasher 6.2 on my Athlon 64 system following the second repair of my ASUS motherboard and received an error message that says "List Index Out of Bounds (0)" and while there is no indication that the program is running (nothing in the system tray or at the bottom of the screen) there is also no image on the screen. It does appear in the programs, but I cannot un-install it to try a re-install, because it is "running" and I can't shut it down. The same file runs fine on my back-up P3 833 with WXP SP2, which I have been using while the ASUS took its two week trip to Indiana for repairs. Any suggestions on solving this issue? Do I need to re-install the previous version (I think it was 5.3) which did work with WXP SP3 on the Athlon? :cry:
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: MailWasher 6.2 & WXP SP3

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:35 am

You need to close MW using the Windows task manager.

The issue is likely registry corruption caused by an improper shutdown or leaving MW running when you exited Windows.

Try this to clear the message.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/MailWasher_P ... eceived.3F
glenf
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:08 am

Yes, I was able to un-instal 6.2! I re-installed it and had the same problem. I then un-installed it again and re-installed 5.3. Now it is giving me the same errors. Any idea why I'm getting this "List Index out of Bounds (0)" error and no display of MailWasher although it appears to be running? :cry:

SORRY - BAD ON ME!! I neglected to check out your link to the other forum before this reply. I'll do that now. :oops:
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:23 am

Once you get the registry glitch it stays until you go in and clear it.

Windows uninstaller does nothing for you since it doesn't clean the registry or remove data files.

Going back to older versions is an iffy thing since the newer versions may make changes to the registry data or to the data files that cause the older version to misbehave.

I can't say "I feel your pain" though since I'm running the now discontinued Linux version of MW that keeps all my info in nice easy to fix text files with none of the Windows registry madness... :-)
glenf
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:27 am

I did follow your link and tried both methods using the -restore after the target, and neither solved the problem. It still says that MailWasher is running, but there is no indication of it! Thanks for your idea.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:39 am

You have to exit MW using the Windows task manager before the fix will work.

The other option is to reboot so MW gets stopped that way, unless of course you set it to start when windows does.
glenf
Mystified Moa

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:50 am

MailWasher does not appear on the Applications tab, but it does appear on the Processes tab. Once I delete it from the Processes tab and click on the desktop icon, I get a message that says "MailWasher is already running" yet nothing appears on the monitor, either on the desktop or in the system tray. I have attempted to run the -restore fix from both the Properties box and from the Run on the start menu, neither of which has solved the problem.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm not able to give you much Windows help but I can tell you that as long as MW is running the registry fix won't take.

The good news is it is close to Monday morning in New Zealand and we should have a visit from the Firetrust staff in the next few hours.
twl845
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Could you possibly do a system restore to a date before you got the problem? If so, do as Stan suggests and uncheck start on bootup, and close manually from now on. :)
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Or try latest beta, I am fairly sure we've finally nailed those pesky errors.
http://betas.s3.amazonaws.com/mailwasherpro_625.exe
glenf
Mystified Moa

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:29 am

Here is how I solved the problem with assistance from Firetrust:

Yes, usually if the -restore fails, its because MWP was still running in the background..?

click, Ctrl Alt Delete and close it from under the Processes tab...

If no better, please try these steps :

First though, click, Ctrl Alt Delete to open the Windows Task Manager, click the Processes tab, and ensure that Mailwasher.exe is not in the list there, if it is, click on it and click "End Process"

1.) First uninstall MailWasher from Add/Remove Programs.

2.) Then once completed, click Start >> Run >> type REGEDIT and click OK to open the Window Registry Editor >>
on the left navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\Prefs"

Then with the Prefs sub-folder on the left highlighted so the text is blue, press the Delete key >> answer
Yes to delete this >> then close the Windows Registry Editor.

3.) Then, delete all files within your Mailwasher Application Data folder

You can find the data folder under,

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\MailWasher Pro\, in Vista,

or,

C:\Documents and Settings\[your logon name]\Application Data\MailWasherPro, in WinXP,

or,

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\MailwasherPro in Win98.

(This folder is actually hidden, so you may need to enable Windows to show hidden files and folders under,
the Windows Control Panel, Folder Options>>View Tab>>Select, Show hidden files and folders.)

4.) Reinstall MailWasher and the problem will hopefully be gone, you will have to re-enter your own
email accounts and registration key into Mailwasher Pro.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”