Bouncing is bad?

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
DDD920
Rattled Rabbit

Bouncing is bad?

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:47 pm

I ended up on Spamhaus for bouncing spam. So bouncing spam is spam? How do I rectify this? Their help page is not helpful because I can't understand it and the page it sends me to does not even exist any more. I am guessing it's because MailWasher was using port 25 without SSL? I fixed it in the server settings but I don't know if that will fix me in Spamhaus.

"It is the policy of Time Warner Cable/Road Runner to share with other entities lists of our dynamic IP address space. While Time Warner Cable/Road Runner does not currently forbid customers from sending out mail directly from such space, it recognizes that others may wish to refuse mail from such space, and so Time Warner Cable/Road Runner makes that space known to others to facilitate their enforcement of their policies. Customers finding their mail refused by others due to a PBL listing should send their outbound mail through the outbound mail server designated for them; see http://help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_emailserveraddys.aspx for more information on the servers' names."
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Bouncing is bad?

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:05 pm

This list is the shared dynamic IPs for that ISP which should not be sending emails. There's no removing the IP address from this list.

When you send an email you should be using the recommended settings from your ISP, that should prevent emails you send from being detected.

If you are getting emails you send flagged in MailWasher, you should change the DNSBL server in MailWasher to use sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

This is because MailWasher deep parses, meaning it checks multiple IP addresses in the header, not just the sending IP address. The PBL list that has your IP address listed is not intended to be used for deep parsers.
DDD920
Rattled Rabbit

Re: Bouncing is bad?

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Thanks! I have it set up properly now.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”