Emails not removed from MW once downloaded to email client

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
JohnF
Mystified Moa

Emails not removed from MW once downloaded to email client

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:23 am

After many years I am now finding that emails are still left in the MW window even after they have been down loaded to Thunderbird. I am sure there was a setting to remove them but cannot find it. Any ideas please?
Thanks. John
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Emails not removed from MW once downloaded to email client

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Hi John

Sorry I somehow missed this post, is this still a problem ?
JohnF
Mystified Moa

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:52 pm

Yes it is. Thank you.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:18 pm

OK sure thing. In ThunderBird if you go into Tools >> Account Settings >> on the left select Server Settings for the account, then on the right, is it listed as POP or IMAP at the top ?

Thanks
JohnF
Mystified Moa

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:28 am

Its POP Mail Server
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:00 am

Great, nice and easy then.

So back where you were in ThunderBird if you go into Tools >> Account Settings >> on the left select Server Settings for the account, then on the right, look for the option 'Leave emails on server' >> uncheck >> restart ThunderBird.
From that point on, emails you download in the email program will get deleted as well, and removed from MailWashers view.
JohnF
Mystified Moa

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:51 am

Thank you. Sorted.
JohnF
Mystified Moa

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:42 am

Strange this. Because I had a problem with the PC I had to restore from an image file.
Now, even though the "Leave messages on server" is unchecked the emails are not being deleted from MW.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 am

OK sure thing. Let's double check some things, MailWasher and ThunderBird are set to use POP for this account ?
MailWasher you can check under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming.
ThunderBird as above Tools >> Account Settings >> on the left select Server Settings for the account, then on the right it displays POP or IMAP at the top.

And you restarted ThunderBird after making that change ?

And also, if you manually Check Mail in MailWasher the messages downloaded into ThunderBird aren't removing from view in MailWasher ?
JohnF
Mystified Moa

Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 pm

Thank you again. My memory may be playing tricks but I thought that as soon as a message was downloaded into Thunderbird that the message would immediately disappear from MW. If I click on Check Mail after a download the message does disappear so it is probably working as it should. :roll:
Thank you for your time.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 pm

JohnF wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Thank you again. My memory may be playing tricks but I thought that as soon as a message was downloaded into Thunderbird that the message would immediately disappear from MW. If I click on Check Mail after a download the message does disappear so it is probably working as it should. :roll:
Thank you for your time.
Great, thanks for clarifying. And yes, MailWasher needs to recheck the account to know that the messages are no longer present to remove from view, which it will do at the timed interval you have set under Settings >> General >> Checking Mail, or a manual check will do the same.

Cheers

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”