Mailwasher Pro 6.3 v. Freeuk.com

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Re: Mailwasher Pro 6.3 v. Freeuk.com

Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:21 am

mlrichardson wrote:
Alien wrote:That's why I said to use the basic firewall option during install. Basic firewall selected during install = no Defense+. As you say, "a firewall and nothing more".
Which is why I suggested - in the first place - using Comodo 2...
:banghead Defense+ isn't the only change between v2 & v3, the firewall itself has been updated, therefore there's no logical reason to use v2 instead of v3.

Your argument for using v2 instead of v3, so as to not have Defense+, is invalid because you can have v3 without Defense+ as well.
No crops were circled, or animals mutilated in the making of this sig.
Dean Speir
It begins with a single step

Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:28 am

Experiencing the same sort of "Session encountered errors" / "The connection was intentionaally closed by the server before the session was completed." messages on a regular basis with 1-to-6 accounts, and it's only occurred since the upgrade to v6.3.

I thought it might be an E-mail server problem given the particular accounts, but if I immediately do an E-mail "receive" through Outlook Express, everything comes down jus' fine.

This is a new experience for me... been a registered user for just over six years, and started with v1.32.
mlrichardson
Active Albatross

Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Alien wrote:the firewall itself has been updated

OK, and that also may be what the problem is...
Mike Richardson
MS Windows 10 Pro
Vipre Internet Security
Firefox 27.0, Thunderbird 24.3.0, MWPro, WP Office X3

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:39 am

mlrichardson wrote:
Alien wrote:the firewall itself has been updated
OK, and that also may be what the problem is...
And it may not. If you are determined to use the older, less secure version, without even trying the new 1 [minus Defense+] to see if that will work with your obscure piece of beta software, I don't have a problem with that.

What I object to is you telling other people to use the older, less secure version, based on 1 isolated case [yours] when there's no evidence to suggest that other people [who are unlikely to be using the same software as you] would have problems with the latest version.
mlrichardson
Active Albatross

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:40 am

Alien wrote:And it may not. If you are determined to use the older, less secure version, without even trying the new 1 [minus Defense+]
Never said I didn't try it. When Comodo 3 was running and Vipre tried a scan my computer would completely lock - with our without Defense +. I wouldn't say something about a product I hadn't tried. Nor, since I was involved with the Vipre beta test, would I say what I said if I didn't know there were a considerable number of people - all beta testers, who had the same problem with Comodo 3 (without Defense +) The problem continued into the production version of Vipre, even though Sunbelt Software worked very hard at correcting whatever the problem was. Since Comodo 2 worked, everyone who experienced the problem had an out.

Not talking "isolated occurrence" here.
Mike Richardson
MS Windows 10 Pro
Vipre Internet Security

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain
mlrichardson
Active Albatross

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:11 am

One final thing: if Steve Gibson's "Shields Up" site can't find my computer behind my Linksys router hardware firewall and my Comodo 2 software firewall, I feel the Comodo 2 part is doing everything I want. I stopped using Zone Alarm's firewall when it started morphing into more than just a firewall. I quit using Comodo 3 when I realized it was doing the same thing. If I want anti-viral and anti-spyware, I'll use a product that aims for those issues. As someone's signature says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Mike Richardson
MS Windows 10 Pro
Vipre Internet Security

Mark Twain
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:25 am

Did you try uninstalling it completely then reinstalling with the basic firewall option instead of just disabling it via the tray menu?

I agree with you about the ZA thing, but then their software started going downhill quite some time ago.

WRT the extra stuff in v3 of Comodo... just a thought, but when you tried it & it caused probs did you let it install everything, or just the firewall & Defense+? The reason I ask is that I said no to the extras [toolbar & ... something else I think, can't remember what], maybe if I'd installed them I'd have had probs too? :dunno

Edit: did any of you Vipre users let Comodo know about the issue?
mlrichardson
Active Albatross

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:45 am

When I uninstall, I use RevoUninstaller, which gives me lot of options - up to and including removing the registry entries. I usually just remove the installed stuff and the support files. In the case of Comodo, I didn't think that was enough and did remove the registry entries. That meant a new install was absolutely from scratch. As far as the other stuff Comodo wants to install, I've already had way too much of that kind of thing from Comodo and almost all other "free" software, and never allow it to install.

Two of the other consistent contributors to Vipre beta had things to say to Comodo - although, since we were all using the "free" version, there wasn't much to do except post entries to the forum. I figured that was enough, and didn't do anything myself.
Mike Richardson
MS Windows 10 Pro
Vipre Internet Security

Mark Twain
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:42 pm

Let's try to keep things relatively on topic please, and avoid creating any badness :)
I'm having a rough last few days, and it's Monday....and I'm sober.....none of this should matter to you guys, but (as I get told all to often), I'm really selfish and only think about myself.

Muchos Gracious.
Dean Speir wrote:Experiencing the same sort of "Session encountered errors" / "The connection was intentionally closed by the server before the session was completed." messages on a regular basis with 1-to-6 accounts, and it's only occurred since the upgrade to v6.3.

I thought it might be an E-mail server problem given the particular accounts, but if I immediately do an E-mail "receive" through Outlook Express, everything comes down jus' fine.

This is a new experience for me... been a registered user for just over six years, and started with v1.32.
Dean, under Settings >> Connection Options >> try checking the account Sequentially >> let us know if that doesn't help.
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:22 pm

rusticdog wrote:I'm having a rough last few days, and it's Monday....and I'm sober.....none of this should matter to you guys, but (as I get told all to often), I'm really selfish and only think about myself.
Sorry to hear that dude. For your sake I hope the person in question doesn't read this forum & see your post. ;)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”