Slow initiaization

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
JudgeMaker
It begins with a single step

Slow initiaization

Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:59 am

Over the past few months, I've been experiencing very slow startup of MailWasher Pro. Average time to receive mail is over 1.5 minutes.

What is the program looking at that slows the process?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Slow initiaization

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:32 am

There's a few different things you can try to improve performances.

Disable Extended Error Logging - Likely this is already off, but under Help >> About >> be sure this isn't checked.

Empty the MailWasher Recycle Bin - Under Settings >> Recycle Bin Options >> click 'Empty Recycle Bin'. Also keep note of how long you are keeping deleted email for (as mentioned in the same area), if you are receiving large volumes of email, several hundred a day, then keeping deleted email for a shorter time may help.

Delete the TrainingMA.dat file - In MailWasher click Help >> About >> open the link to where MailWasher stores the data files >> go back and close MailWasher >> in the folder you just opened go into the Training folder >> delete the file TrainingMA.dat >> open MailWasher and it will rebuild this file. I'm not sure if this will improve startup, but we've noted that this file after a rebuild can improve the responsiveness of the Bayesian/Learning.

Keep the Blacklist file at a resonable size - Under Settings >> My Blacklist >> List Options >> try lowering the number of days to keep blacklisted addresses. My personal feeling is anything over 14 days is probably a waste. MailWasher will routinely cleanup this list relevant to that setting.

Hopefully something in there helps :)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”