Mail Washer 6.3 Hangs when Processing

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
jmkays
Rattled Rabbit

Mail Washer 6.3 Hangs when Processing

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:44 am

When I click on "Process," Mail Washer hangs, forcing me to close the program with Task Manager. Under settings, I have the app. set to sequentially check my accounts (two accounts). It retrieves mail without hanging, but will not process -- delete spam, etc. I'm using Vista 64bit Ultimate. Never had this problem with previous versions of the software. Please assist.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Mail Washer 6.3 Hangs when Processing

Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:57 am

Are you using the bounce option, it can cause problems and is not an effective tool these days?
jmkays
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:58 am

No, bouncing is not enabled.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:16 am

You have multiple CPUs ?

Try setting MW to run on only one CPU....I think that's done from Task Manager ?
jmkays
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:24 am

Tried selecting one of four cores on my quad core system (QX9770 running on a 790i Ultra mobo). No luck. I haven't upgraded since v5.3. Would really like to use this new interface and features, so hope there is a workaround.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:42 am

You could send me your PC for ummm.....testing ?

The 5.3 upgrade shouldn't have been a bother, but just in case, let's clear out some of the obvious files that MailWasher writes to when you Process Mail and see if that helps.

First in MailWasher go Settings >> Recycle Bin Options >> empty the Recycle Bin here, clear the message logs >> click OK.

See if that helps....

If not, then go Help >> About >> open the link to the data files >> then go back and close MailWasher >> back in the folder you opened rename "Training" to something like "OldTraining" >> restart MailWasher and see if that helps.
This will unfortunately also mean needing to retrain MailWasher from scratch which messages are good and bad.

Cheers
jmkays
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:19 pm

I think there may have been a corrupt file in the app data folder. I backed up the friends and black list filters, restored them after deleting the entire app folder and restarting Mail Washer. That appears to have fixed the problem for the moment, but won't be certain until I have more email to work with. Should know in an hour or two.

Thank you for the tips.

Update: that seemed to fix it. Must have been a corrupt log file.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”