Phishing email address gets onto whitelist ...

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
sparge
Mystified Moa

Phishing email address gets onto whitelist ...

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:44 pm

... without me putting it there. Just (a few days ago) updated to v6.3 after a long time at v5.0. This morning when Mailwasher finished checking my email, it included a phishing email from "Lloyds TSB" that was flagged as Friend. There's no way I put it on my whitelist on purpose, and Right-Click - Select Add to friends list is not the sort of thing that gets done by accident! Which leaves me with the third option, which is rather worrying. I have now unchecked and deleted it but the question is, how did it get there in the first place?

I'm sure I remember this happening before, a long time ago, as a hard enough search of the Castlecops archive might even bear out. At the time I think it was concluded that I must somehow have done it myself.

I've recently finished going through the Castlecops malware removal procedure, because of a number of recent observations of suspicious symptoms, any of which individually could be written off, but together were enough to get me worried. Apart from the usual collection of tracking cookies, nothing showed up. Now I have another little item for my suspicious list.

Any ideas? Anyone else ever observed anything like this?

Andy
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Phishing email address gets onto whitelist ...

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:44 am

I've been using MW for years too and have never had something added to the Friends or Black lists unless I either did it or I had one of my spam tools set to add it.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 pm

When you train an email as Good that is probably also adding to the Friends List, so might have just been a slip of a click, and training the email that did this.
sparge
Mystified Moa

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:15 pm

Hmmm ... OK. I'm a bit miffed at being classed as a One Post Wonder :( I'm a Corporal over at Castlecops, largely on account of participation in the Mailwasher forum, and I only came here because I got told there that the Castlecops Mailwasher forum is effectively moribund now. Doesn't my previous count for anything?
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:50 am

Well there you go ... happy now? :) Rankings here are ... umm, let's just say they're somewhat more irreverent than rankings at CC. ;) There should be a topic here somewhere that discusses the ranking scale evolution. And no, previous posts at CC count for nothing. ... Actually I shouldn't say that. Look at the title I inherited. ;)
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:45 am

It could be worse, I lost over 10,000 posts, all but a couple dozen to the MW forums.

The fix is simple though dive in and help out other users and get on the beta team if you are willing to test early releases.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:57 am

Yeap, One Post Wonder ranks are specially reserved for those with one one post.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”