Mailwasher 6.3 a big let down!!!!

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Kif001
Rattled Rabbit

Re: Mailwasher 6.3 a big let down!!!!

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Grumps.

Did you do a complete uninstall of MW to get 6.2 back up and running, or will 6.2 over-write 6.3 on install?

The thing is 6.2 worked perfectly well for me, and since 6.3 has nothing new in it (as a user they are identical, so 6.3 seems pretty pointless), I don't see much reason to pfaff around for hours with MW settings and those of other software trying to figure out why 6.3 is hobbling around the pitch getting in the way, when 6.2 is sitting on the bench, fit and healthy and ready to go.

Kif
Grumps
Student Sheep

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 pm

6.3 should overwrite it but as I was having problems I simply uninstalled MW 6.2. I retained my filters, white and blacklist, and all my account details. I then installed 6.3. As a matter of interest I have received a reply from Firetrust this morning who told me that my firewall could well have prevented 6.3 from working and suggested I reinstalled the FW and gave MW permissions. This I have done and it is working fine. I am definitely no expert but it may be worth your while checking your firewall. It seems to have worked on my installation.

Good luck.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:29 am

JFTR, you shouldn't have to reinstall a firewall. Any firewall worth it's salt should have a facility which allows the user to grant premissions for a program to access the Internet. Having to reinstall the firewall each time a piece of software is upgraded would be a real PITA.
Kif001
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:10 am

Apropos Grumps' suggestion re: the Firewall settings (for which I'm grateful - thanks Grumps!), I've put MW in the WinFirewall exceptions and rebooted for good measure.

Little or no difference, I'm afraid. BUT...

I have turned off the Clam Antivirus that comes with Spyware Terminator (as it's just two mouse clicks to do it's a quick test), and that HAS improved things. I need to check MW's response a few more times to make sure it's not a fluke, and then maybe fiddle with the ClamAV settings to see if I can do the same kind of adjustment as for WinFirewall. Ideally I'd like to have both running as before. Adjusting Clam might be easier to do that than to uninstall 6.3 and re-install MW to 6.2, and with fewer consequences.

Still, even if Clam is the reason for MW using a Zimmer Frame to get around, and 'depositing' buttons in my Taskbar after being minimised to the corner Task Panel, why haven't previous versions of MWPro had the same problem? Similarly, why does another long-term user like Grumps now have to tweak their Firewall? Hmmm...

I'll fiddle around some more, but if it looks like it'll take more time playing with proven software than getting 6.2 going again, then I'll do the latter.

Kif

LATER: I shutdown MWPro, and turned ClamAV back on. Then I opened the Spyware Terminator (ST) Centre and accessed the Real Time Protection (RTP) section. This covers a whole load of protective features, including Clam.

I turned everything down to the minimum setting and fired-up MW. That seemed to go fine. I then used the process of elimination to find out which RTP setting may be causing MW to be sluggish by turning up each of the many sliders in the RTP section from the minimum to the medium setting (there are only three levels of setting, BTW), and then getting MW to minimise and restore. Unfortunately, MW refused to misbehave when all the sliders were back to where they were before, which was most curious!

I closed down MW again, and used Restart on the PC to reboot the whole lot, and MW was sluggish once more. So I started the process with the sliders all over again, and to make matters worse ST began (and still is) re-educating itself, and querying everything I do! ARG!!

However, while I'm not yet certain this 'workaround' is stable, I've found that by reducing ST's "Real Time Protection -> Application Guard -> Start-Up Registry" setting to the minimum level, it seems to improve things. But of course this is a universal setting applying to any app that starts up (good or bad), so now the protection I got from everything that slider controlled has been reduced. Frankly, I'm not too happy that getting MW back up to the speed of 6.2 has required me to reduce my system's protection. [SEE BELOW]

When I have more time, I might try uninstalling and re-installing ST (which is relatively quick compared to some apps), in the hope it will recognise MW as a trusted program, and I can increase my protection to where it was before 6.3 was installed. I'll get back as and when I've further news. - K -

LATER STILL... 29/10

Today, I have mostly been installing software.

Specifically, Spyware Terminator. I've uninstalled and re-installed ST, and now MW seems to be better, with my previous security settings as they were. Which is nice. EXCEPT that ST is now having to re-learn everything it's queried and I've previously given an "Allow" instruction. It's a right nuisance. :frown

:!: Assuming the Moderator(s) is actually reading this, it might be a very good idea for Firetrust to put up a sticky or have a ReadMe attached to the 6.3 download advising folks that they check their Firewall settings after installing 6.3 and (given ST is a popular piece of kit) warning that users of Spyware Terminator may have issues.

Hopefully this will be my last posting on this! -K-
Kif001
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 pm

If anyone's been checking my progress with my problems with 6.3 running slow and misbehaving with my Task Bar, and have only been looking at the date of the latest posting for any change, I've been editing my message of 28/10 with updates so everything is in one place.

Excelsior!

Kif
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Kif001 wrote: :!: Assuming the Moderator(s) is actually reading this, it might be a very good idea for Firetrust to put up a sticky or have a ReadMe attached to the 6.3 download advising folks that they check their Firewall settings after installing 6.3 and (given ST is a popular piece of kit) warning that users of Spyware Terminator may have issues.

Hopefully this will be my last posting on this! -K-
Argh, I knew the newsletter felt a bit light, we use to put details in there which helped. I'll update the new version announcement.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”