need to retrieve emails to then delete MWP

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
getridofjunk
Rattled Rabbit

need to retrieve emails to then delete MWP

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:07 pm

how can I stop mwp from going thru my emails; then I retrieve emails still on mwp to then delete program..HELP: MWP has deleted a number of emails from my email client which I did not request...nor have I deleted them from MWP.....but I can't get mwp to move more than just the current days emails to my email client. I want to retrieve these emails before deleting mwp..... I was so thrilled with mwp until I realized yesterday and confirmed today that it is deleting mail from my email client....not from my email server, from my actual email account verizon/yahoo!!!
What can I do :cry: :cry: :gag
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: need to retrieve emails to then delete MWP

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:37 pm

Read the section of how MW works on the wiki, it has nothing to do with your mail client, it only looks at mail on your server and deletes selected messages.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
getridofjunk
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:52 pm

Thank you for your reply. However, I am far from a computer wiz, I know the basics of how to use a computer, even on a jobsite, but this is my first use of any anti-spam software....I actually tried it as a means of bouncing emails from one individual who has become a source of harassment causing me to change my phone number and hoping to have him believe my email address if no longer valid by having his emails bounced. I read the part about bouncing spam. I have the spam flagged to be blacklisted and deleted as the MWP learning filter is used. It is just this persons email I want bounced.

I read the wiki info you directed me to however, I didn't get much out of it ...some I didn't even understand given my lack of computer info. You said the emails deleted from my verizon/yahoo account have nothing to do with MWP but with my mail client server which is a verizon server. I don't understand how this could be since I have never had any emails deleted from my inbox unless I deleted them. Yet since I have used MWP the past few days I have come to notice emails have been deleted each day...example; emails from the 25th, entered in my inbox on the 25th, no longer were there in my inbox on the 26th. On the 26th only emails recieved on the 26th, that I noted were good, were found in my inbox. Thus, I lost the emails from my inbox from the 25th even though I had not yet read them not deleted them from my inbox. The same has happened today...

These emails deleted from my inbox were still in my MWP main page....but, I cannot get them to go into my mail inbox.
I read other MWP users having an issue with deleted emails so that's when I decided to not use the program, but I need to access those emails....how do I do that???
:frown :scratch :crazy :help
:crazy :crazy :crazy
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:54 pm

getridofjunk wrote:....I actually tried it as a means of bouncing emails from one individual who has become a source of harassment causing me to change my phone number and hoping to have him believe my email address if no longer valid by having his emails bounced. I read the part about bouncing spam. I have the spam flagged to be blacklisted and deleted as the MWP learning filter is used. It is just this persons email I want bounced.
If you know that the email address is legit, the bounce won't go to some unknown third-party. Technically though, the bounce is still a deception, appearing as though it comes from your ISP. Your ISP may take issue with such a practice since they have no way of knowing that the address isn't a a joe-job victim for example.
getridofjunk wrote:You said the emails deleted from my verizon/yahoo account have nothing to do with MWP but with my mail client server which is a verizon server. I don't understand how this could be since I have never had any emails deleted from my inbox unless I deleted them. Yet since I have used MWP the past few days I have come to notice emails have been deleted each day...example; emails from the 25th, entered in my inbox on the 25th, no longer were there in my inbox on the 26th. On the 26th only emails recieved on the 26th, that I noted were good, were found in my inbox. Thus, I lost the emails from my inbox from the 25th even though I had not yet read them not deleted them from my inbox. The same has happened today...
In your earlier email you stated that your email client was having emails deleted by MWP. The terminology you use above (e.g. mail client server) suggests that there may be a misunderstanding as to your email setup. What is the name brand of your client software installed on your computer? Have there been any filters set up in the client? If so, you might want to check for anything being moved to other client folders for example. Using the client's search engine, you could also look for a msg you know was present but is now missing. If it's in some other folder, you have a client filter problem.
getridofjunk
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks, IKEB.... as far as the email address I need to bounce....I had discussed this with the tech support....the only other option was to close out my on-line DSL account and open a new account....This option proved to be a real pain and disadvantage.....tranferring all saved emails on all email accounts to computer since they would be lost......and then being with online access for about 10 days while the process is completed by Verizon.

Not sure what you are referring to for client program ...etc. I have DSL with Verizon which uses Yahoo as the acting home page and on line features. However, the mail client program, mail server, is with Verizon (user name @verizon.net). The mail from there is deposited into my verizon/yahoo inbox. A copy of all emails is suppose to be saved on the Verizon mail server for an extended period of time, regardless if I delete them from my inbox. This has been the case until I started using MWP. They have since been deleted daily from the Verizon email server and my verizon/yahoo inbox, replaced only with the current days good email........

I have since lost many emails I cannot retrieve it seems....at least not from my email account nor with the Verizon email server.

:cry: :rant :scratch
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:24 am

getridofjunk wrote:Not sure what you are referring to for client program ...etc. I have DSL with Verizon which uses Yahoo as the acting home page and on line features. However, the mail client program, mail server, is with Verizon (user name @verizon.net). The mail from there is deposited into my verizon/yahoo inbox. A copy of all emails is suppose to be saved on the Verizon mail server for an extended period of time, regardless if I delete them from my inbox. This has been the case until I started using MWP. They have since been deleted daily from the Verizon email server and my verizon/yahoo inbox, replaced only with the current days good email........
I see. FYI, most folks install a client on their own computer (e.g. OutLook Express or Thunderbird) and use POP to download msgs. In your case, you have Verizon keeping the msg local to their gear and you use your browser to read email. Perhaps someone else using their web interface can explain the symptoms you're seeing. It may be that the Verizon "client" is somehow tied to their server and MWP can't be used reliably. Or perhaps Verizon has an anti-spam program checking for spam and moving or deleting msgs (which Verizon could disable at your request).

It may be that the best recourse is to install a client on your own computer and access the Verizon server using POP. For incoming msgs, the configuration details should be identical to those you are now using for MWP.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”