Msgs remain in checked mail

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
oldad
Mystified Moa

Msgs remain in checked mail

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Had new 6.3 for several days .

In the past when I Processed mail they would appear in my email and be removed from the checked mail widow.

Now however I check Process mail and msgs go to my email however when I again click the MW icon on desktop the same msgs are still in the checked mail window and the only way to completely remove then is to chek Delete for each msg.

I must be missing an option in the new 6.3.

Appreciate any advice to correct this.

oldad
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Re: Msgs remain in checked mail

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:02 pm

It appears that your client isn't deleting msgs after downloading them. Look for an option that decides whether msgs are to remain at the server or not. Make sure that your client's configuration is set so as to NOT keep msgs at the server.
oldad
Mystified Moa

Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:21 am

Thanks IKEB,

Note I said the only way to remove the msgs is to delete them...... which was not necessary in MW 6.0.

Also there is no option in Mailwasher re msgs on server.

There is that option in OE6 but I do not check to keep any mgs on server and that has nothing to do with Mailwasher 6.3

There should be an option to select how long msgs remain in checked mail after one clicks Process mail. or return to the 6.0 of msgs deleting once you click Process mail.

regards
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:12 pm

Yes I did note that the problem only occurred once you upgraded. I figured the most likely explanation was that your client's config had somehow changed. Since that's not the case, I'm not sure what's happening. :scratch I will say that MWP can't be implicated since it isn't involved in deleting msgs it leaves on the server. Msgs left on the server by MWP are intended to be downloaded by the client and subsequently deleted by the client. Perhaps change back to MWP v6.0 and see if the problem disappears or now appears to behave the same as v6.3.

Another thought: Is it possible that MWP was hiding all previously read msgs when using v6.0? That would mean that your server is never deleting msgs when told to do so by the client yet deleting the same msgs when directed to do so by MWP. A very unlikely scenario. :crazy
oldad
Mystified Moa

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Ho ikeb,

FYI, at my age I am entitled to a goodly munber of goofups per day but it appears that I have used up an entire months worth in the last two days.

I just checked my email accounts,OE6 and would you believe there was a great big black check in 'Leave copy on server'

How that thing got there , before , during or after the upgrade, I'll never know but its gone and when mail is Processed msgs are gone .

Thanks for the prod that caused me to check my mail account which I was positive no Leave copy on server.

Best Regards.

oldad
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:00 pm

Lots of things get changed in Windows for no apparent reason and without the user doing anything. This checking of the leave on server box is one that we see a lot of happening.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”