Cannot resize Recycle Bin Window

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Jahala
Mystified Moa

Cannot resize Recycle Bin Window

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:25 am

I just downloaded and installed the new 6.3 version, but the Recycle Bin window is so huge that it does not fit on my screen, extending way beyond the sides of my 17" screen. I tried resizing it, but it will not resize. I downloaded the patch that was supposed to fix it, but apparently it only works on the main window, not the Recycle Bin window. :cry

So, how do I get the Recycle Bin windows to resize to fit my screen so I can read it without having to constantly scroll side to side?

Thank you.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Cannot resize Recycle Bin Window

Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:28 pm

MailWasher, the program of a thousand patches. Actually the whole thing is just one big patch, you need a degree in Spaghettiology just to understand how it fits together.

As we say round the office....one more patch won't hurt....

Run this with MailWasher closed, answer Yes to import into the Windows Registry.
Attachments
recyclebin_windows_size.zip
(336 Bytes) Downloaded 601 times
Jahala
Mystified Moa

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:33 pm

Tried it and it seemed to make the window a little narrower, although not quite enough. At least, I don't have to constantly move it to read everything. Thanks.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm

You run an 800x600 resolution ?
Jahala
Mystified Moa

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:42 am

1024x768 which is the best my ancient, ten-year-old analog monitor can handle. However, I do have a narrow bar about the width of an icon on the right side of my screen that contains my program icons, so I do not have the entire screen free. It's the old Word 2000 Shortcut Bar, if you are familiar with it, and I'm no doubt the only person in the world still using it. But old habits die hard. :lol:
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:15 am

Jahala wrote:I do have a narrow bar about the width of an icon on the right side of my screen that contains my program icons, so I do not have the entire screen free. It's the old Word 2000 Shortcut Bar, if you are familiar with it, and I'm no doubt the only person in the world still using it. But old habits die hard. :lol:
I don't use that feature, but I do have my bottom task bar moved to the side and widened, so I can have 30 windows open and be able to see all of their little tabs to choose back and forth. It's very convenient for confirming spamcop reports. (You can't send reports to the domain hosts with quick reporting.) I just run down the emails in MWP clicking each link, which opens a window for each. Then I can click the icon for each report's window to confirm it, instead of having them turn into a single icon with a pulldown menu, which I find to be a real pain. It also allows me to have lots of program shortcuts in my tray (I've got 20, 4 abreast). I have a large monitor, so it's not a problem to lose a few centimeters on one side instead of the bottom.
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:32 am

rusticdog wrote:MailWasher, the program of a thousand patches. Actually the whole thing is just one big patch, you need a degree in Spaghettiology just to understand how it fits together.
Does that mean you're all Pastafarians then? :D
rusticdog wrote:Run this with MailWasher closed, answer Yes to import into the Windows Registry.
Thanks for that, that's sorted the prob I mentioned the other day about it not remembering the RB size/position. Or at least it did after I edited it to change the coordinates to 0,0,1023,707 . :)
No crops were circled, or animals mutilated in the making of this sig.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:16 pm

Jahala wrote:Tried it and it seemed to make the window a little narrower, although not quite enough. At least, I don't have to constantly move it to read everything. Thanks.
That's not bad then, mine is 1366x768 here at home, and I run ObjectDock as well, which takes about 50 off the top of the screen. Work is a different story, everyone has these uber 23" dual monitors.
If you've still got the patch file, before running the .reg file, you can right click and select Edit >> it should open in Notepad or similar >> you've got 4 numbers here, the first two are where the top left of the window will be, the last two are where the bottom right corner of the window. So if for example, you changed the first two to 0,0 that would make the top left corner of the window be at the very top left of your screen.

You can edit these numbers to suit, it's all in pixels, so you can gauge what size you want when compared to the 1024x768. Oh and the numbers are in the order,

For top left position
1st - left to right across
2nd - top to bottom down

For bottom right position
3rd - left to right across
4th - top to bottom down

I'm sure I could have explained all that much simpler and in about 4 lines, maybe His Noodly Appendage went in too deep and caused some permanent damage :crazyface
Jahala
Mystified Moa

Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:41 am

I have tried everything. I added the Recycle Bin Resize reg to the Registry, checked to make sure it was there as promised. Then, I launched Mailwasher, but when I click on the Recycle Bin, it's back to the previous huge size. I check in the Registry and, sure enough, the new coordinates I added have been changed back. This happens regardless of whether I click on the reg file and add the info or manually go into the Registry and add it, myself. As soon as I launch Mailwasher and bring up the Recycle Bin, it's right back to the original huge size. :yuck

How do I keep the size I want and prevent Mailwasher from changing it back? Thank you.

FWIW, I am running Windows XP MCE 2005 with 2 GB of RAM and a TB of hard disk space.
Alien
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:14 am

rusticdog wrote:That's not bad then, mine is 1366x768 here at home, and I run ObjectDock as well, which takes about 50 off the top of the screen.
Why not use the auto-hide option, then you'd have the extra 50. That's what I do with RocketDock.
No crops were circled, or animals mutilated in the making of this sig.
Jahala
Mystified Moa

Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:34 am

I thought about that, but I use the Shortcut bar constantly. I have the icons of the programs I use on it instead of on the desktop [or having to go through the Start Menu Programs rigmarole]. To hide the Shortcut Bar that I use a lot for something that I use once a day doesn't make sense for me. An alternative would be to hide the bar when I check the Recycle Bin at the end of the day, but it would be so much simpler and easier if I could just get the Recycle Bin window to be a reasonable size as it was in the previous versions of Mailwasher. :::sigh:::
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:52 pm

My bad.

There's a minimum size imposed, so MW is reverting to that. Until we get the new version out as a stable beta you want to go back to an older version of MW ?
If so, let me know, and I can post a link. Also if you know which version did work for you that would help too.

Cheers
Jahala
Mystified Moa

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:25 am

The last version that could resize the Recycle Bin window was v6.0.4. That was the version I was using until I decided to try v6.3 to see if that had been fixed yet.

Thanks for the offer, but I still have the original v6.0.4 that I downloaded from you a year ago. :) Anyway, I am back to using v6.0.4 now.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”