msn dial up settings

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Cindy62707
Student Sheep

msn dial up settings

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:36 pm

At home I connect via cable modem to Mediacom. I will be traveling and signed up for an MSN dial up service to use where I will be at. I want to use the MSN service to go online then use Mailwasher to download my email from Mediacom. However, MWP will not download my email when I go online using the dial up method. I tried changing the settings to "dial up" but that did not help. What else can I do?

Thank you,
Cindy
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: msn dial up settings

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi Cindy

What errors are you getting in MailWasher ?
Cindy62707
Student Sheep

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:56 am

When I am online thru my wireless internet there is no error and things work fine. When I try to use the dial up thru MSN it says "The POP server is not responding appropriately, ensure that you have specified the address of a POP server."

My email is sitting on Mediacom so I have to use their POP server to get my email. Is there anothr place to put a POP server just to use the dialup service for Mailwasher?

Thank you,
CIndy
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi Cindy

Looking at the Mediacom website, the POP server address is mail.mchsi.com
The problem is I cannot connect to that POP server, so my initial thought is that perhaps Mediacom only allow you to connect to their POP server if you are using their network. That's not uncommon, some ISPs in New Zealand used to (or still) do the same. Frankly it's just a nuisance if this is the case.

You could give Mediacom a quick call to confirm this, and if you can access your email via POP when connected to another ISP. If they say you cannot, you might be able to request that you are given access for this as you will be travelling.
Cindy62707
Student Sheep

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:43 pm

I called Mediacom. They had me change the POP3 and SMTP server port numbers and also tick the SSL Secure Server both Incoming and Outgoing. That seemed to do the trick. If necessary I can always change the settings back to
when we get back home. I didn't even think of calling Mediacom as I figured it was a setting in Mailwasher that needed changed and their usual comment on outside programs is "we don't provide any assistance on other party's programs".

I wonder why they have different server port numbers for using my cable versus a dial up? I would think that no matter how I got online the server ports would be the same for checking my email.

Anyway, thank you for your assistance!
Cindy
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:21 pm

Great, glad it's sorted Cindy.

Using SSL and changing the port (required for the SSL) prevents any eavesdropping, so when you aren't connected to their network, but are connecting to the email server, it just makes things that little bit safer.

Enjoy your travels :)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”