Freeware Utilities for MW

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Toucan
Rattled Rabbit

Freeware Utilities for MW

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Hello all,

I'd like to let members know about a set of utilities I wrote for use with Mailwasher which were previously publicised on the former CastleCops forum. I actually wrote these over five years ago (I have been a MW user since day one) and they are still available from the website in my signature. Although Mailwasher is a fine piece of software, there were a few functions it didnt have. Being an amateur softie myself, I wrote these as standalone utilities, which I eventually bundled into one package. As a quick summary, these utilities offer;
  • - Blacklist/Whitelist file addition - Allows two blacklist/whitelist files to be merged
    - Blacklist/Whitelist file compare - Compare blacklists/whitelists in different files
    - Blacklist to Filter converter - Convert your blacklist file into one or more filters
    - Trash Searcher - Allows you to search your trash to check for any messages that may have been deleted by accident
    - Trash Decoder - Decodes your trash file back into plain text
    - Blacklist Domain Wildcarder - Allows replacement of commonly occurring blacklisted domains with a wildcarded domain
These are all in a single package called BLScanPlus, which is freeware. I offer very limited support for this program, so please don't ask me for a barge load of enhancements :( or expect full time support :shock: , but if anyone wants to develop this package further then PM me. :D

regards,
Pat

p.s. There are some other software tools on my site (which are nothing to do with MW), that one or two of you may find useful.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Freeware Utilities for MW

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Glad to see you here, lots of folks have gotten a lot of good out of your tools.

The one that really comes in handy for even less expert users is the trash decoder, when a mail goes missing and the MW restore function is giving you fits it will find the message for you every time.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:31 pm

Welcome here Toucan!

Actually this discussion reminds me that I had intended to suggest that the new version of MWP would be well served to have hooks for third-party developers. Some sort of API be that at the programming level or database only would be called for it seems to me. Having a standard way of loading extensions (ala FF for example) could open up a whole new realm of possible MWP enhancements. ;)
Toucan
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:55 am

Excellent idea. People could then contribute extensions and perhaps the best ones could be promoted to being 'built-in' at a later date.
Toucan
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:52 am

Hi all,

I need a few volunteers to test the latest version of my MW utilities. The new version is a complete rewrite and called BLScanLite, it's 'Lite' in the sense that it's easier to use than the previous version (rather than being Lite on features!). Before I put this out for general consumption I'd appreciate it, if a few users try it out to help shake out any last bugs, but preferably people who have used my stuff before. It's freeware, so I cant offer you any incentive to try it, but perhaps I could at least credit you as 'Beta tester' on my website.

PM me if you're willing (let me know which version you're currently using) and I'll PM back a download path.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”