Won't RESTORE Emails

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
angelah
Travelling Tuatara

Won't RESTORE Emails

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 am

MW Pro 6.5 won't restore my emails.

All settings are correct: Restore email address and SMTP. I get a message stating the email has been restored, but only the first 20 lines are visiable, YET it does NOT restore the email.

Any way to just READ the email in the Recycle Bin?

Update: An error message show up after the message stating the email has been restored which says:

"Global SMTP server - Email Restore - The connection was intentionally closed by the server before the session was completed."Help!

Thank you.

Angela
Last edited by angelah on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Won't RESTORE Emails

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 am

Not a good way to read recycled mail.

Many folks have had issues restoring to their ISP's servers for many, many different reasons. I've quit trying to get that to work and now suggest setting up a free gmail account and restoring using the gmail SMTP server and to the gmail account. I haven't used v6 for a while but that should work there too.

All you will see in a restored message is the number of lines that your spam throttle is set to, I think 20 was the default setting for that.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
angelah
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:32 am

Hi Stan,

I just added an update. This has ALWAYS worked fine for me, so I'll try your suggestion, but if there is a way to fix it, I'd prefer to do that.

Thanks for the reply!
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:49 am

If you want to fuss with it, start MW, turn off auto-checking, go to help-about and turn on logging. Restore one e-mail, open the socketlog (find it at the link in help-about) then turn off debugging.

The socketlog is a copy of the conversation between your computer and your SMTP mail server, it should provide you the information to fix the problem if it is a PC-SMTP issue but far too many of these are configuration issues where they have hired idiots to run the SMTP server. If it is an idiot issue you can mail the socket log to the idiot... errrr... tech support guru at your ISP and await his words of wisdom. If you were here I'd give odds on "duh I dunno" or "I've never seen that before" and 50-50 on "we don't support that on our server" actually getting a server fixed is very rare.

If you forget to turn off debugging you are going to see slowness and a big pile of logs so make a second check when done just to be sure it is really, really off.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”