Removal of non standard HTML tags and attributes

Troubleshooting and help for Benign.
derekgaus
Rattled Rabbit

Removal of non standard HTML tags and attributes

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:46 pm

I have noticed from my benign Summary that many e-mails processed have lots of non standard tags and attributes removed; even if the e-mails are totally legitimate. I am not conversant with HTML and am wondering why this is the case? Would it be because much of the HTML received in e-mails is loosely written?
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Re: Removal of non standard HTML tags and attributes

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:35 am

Perhaps post an example.
derekgaus
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Did you mean a copy of an email? I can't post an example email because all I have are the post Benign copies and not the copy before it was processed by Benign.
Ikeb

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Doh! Of course. Perhaps if you can ID a particular sender set up a second account at your email client such that msgs from your server account bypass B9. (The second client account would use the same config as the first minus the ".b9" suffix for the server address) Then upon receiving such a msg, download to the second account i.e. not parsed by B9. Then forward the target msg to yourself but this time send to your first account i.e. parsed by B9. You'd then have a "before" and "after" copy (though the headers would differ) which could be compared.

A bit of work to be sure but would give you a better idea what B9 is doing.
Ikeb

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:46 pm

Ah! A less complicated way of getting a reference copy would be to set up the second account at your email client as I described above but also set the second account's config to leave msgs at the server. So when you get a msg you think is likely to be heavily parsed, download to the second account and immediately after successful download, download to your first account. Locate the target msg at both accounts and you have the "before" and "after". :)
suki750
It begins with a single step

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:46 am

Bumping an old thread there is a problem with Benign and IncrediMail.
I belong to many groups who make and share stationery for IncrediMail. Because Benign strips and rewrites the html code it means any IncrediMail stationery scanned by Benign cannot be saved as the code is wrong.
Apart from not bothering to use Benign does anybody know of a workaround for this?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help”