Begnin reinstallation under Vista

Troubleshooting and help for Benign.
sartenose
Rattled Rabbit

Begnin reinstallation under Vista

Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Hello,

My old Laptop died and I had to buy a new one that is unfortunately running Vista Pro. On the new system I installed my Benign 1.41 and faced the following problems:
1. Benign didn't succeed to import my Thunderbird accounts
2. So I selected Tools--->Options-->Accounts and manually entered my accounts. When I select apply I get the following message:
Exception applying host files changes: Cannot create file C:Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\Hosts

It may have been for the very same reason that the Import function didn't work.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards

Rene
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Begnin reinstallation under Vista

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:17 pm

Long and lengthy article on that here http://firetrust.com/en/support/benign/faq/setup#vista
sartenose
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks for your information.
I followed exactly your procedure you suggested with Notepad but the result remains the same, and get exactly the same message, the file c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts cannot be changed.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards
Rene
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:44 am

Maybe just change Benign to run as Administrator....that should do it, you shouldn't need to set this option all the time, otherwise you'll end up with UAC prompts every startup, but if you do it long enough to add your accounts, then change it back to not run as Admin
509Airdale
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:30 am

I had the same situation, and running B9 as admin did not help.

Is Firetrust coming out with a Vista compatible version of B9?
james246
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:43 am

Vista has been out for 2 years now. Firetrust need to be more proactive with the development of B9 they should by now have a version that easily installs and works on Vista for all.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:39 am

I doubt that we'll see any further B9 development ... as a standalone product. I suggested years ago now that B9 be combined with a proxy version of MWP. As I understand it, FireTurst plans to do just that when they finally get around to coding the proxy version. ;)
james246
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:02 pm

Well this is what Firetrust say on the subject of Vista.

We plan to develop a version of Benign that will run on Vista without any manual intervention of the hosts file but have no release date at this stage.

Another quote from Firetrust:-

How do we offer the best customer support? Because we have full-time staff whose jobs are purely to help you get the best from Benign.

So come on guys no messing about, perform as an ethical company- develop and support this product properly.
Phil_A
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:24 am

I just installed Benign under Vista and received all of the above errors. I have a Benign licence since 2003 but have not used it till now because it did not recognise my email client, Forte Agent. Thought I would give it another try, after 5 years it should be improved, but no - it still doesn't recognise Forte Agent or offer any wizard to help me configure it.

My solution - Control Panel>Remove Programs>Benign :cry

Phil
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Nope B9 is not being developed any more, but will be taken and embedded into a future application. It does run under Vista with the right tweaking.

I double checked with Hamish who does more B9 support than anyone, and he tells me I've not missed anything. You can still contact Hamish though direct http://firetrust.com/en/support/benign
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:48 pm

What? He abused his privileges here? :P
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:23 pm

It would seem he hasn't wet his feet yet - 0 posts :)
Von
It begins with a single step

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:49 pm

The site: http://firetrust.com/en/support/benign/faq/setup#vista results in a "page not found." I want to try to at least try B9 in Vista. Never one to give up easily... but that site would help.

Nevermind... I found it. http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/be ... ws-7-ready
mcullet
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:31 pm

rusticdog wrote:Nope B9 is not being developed any more, but will be taken and embedded into a future application. It does run under Vista with the right tweaking.

I double checked with Hamish who does more B9 support than anyone, and he tells me I've not missed anything. You can still contact Hamish though direct http://firetrust.com/en/support/benign
Hi Rustic Dog

Not entirely sure what people are whining about. Despite silly claims to the contrary B9works fine with Vista and has always done so ... but you do need to do a couple of tweaks. It's not rocket science .... and before people whine at me, no I have nothing at all to do with Firetrust other than as a very happy customer for many years now.

Some programs do what they are meant to do ... and do it very well. B9 is one of them. I might think of some extra things that I'd like it to do but I accept developers look at costs and benefit. Even if it remains unchanged, and I hope it continues to develop, then that's ok by me. A simple program that works fine is a rare thing indeed. I would really love to see B9 work with LiveMail and Yahoo but, as far as I know, both MS and Yahoo keep that side of the world on a very short leash ... doubt it will happen anytime soon. It's out of the hands of the Firetrust developers.

For people who appear to have problems getting B9 to work with Vista or Win 7, make certain that you have administrator privilages yourself before changing B9 admin privilages. You need to modify the start-up program (properties) and select Compatibility tab ... then tick the 'run as administrator' icon. Restart B9 and it works fine. This is much the same with WIN 7.

Tech support is brilliant, personal and always very effective ... thanks Hamish.

Mike
Mike
Not employed by FireTrust - just a happy long time user.
WIN 7 Pro - 64 bit (updated to max)
i7-2000K @ 3.9 Ghz - Geforce GTX 560 Ti SLI, 8 gig RAM
MOBO - GA-Z68XP-UD4 (rev 1)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help”