Hotmail

Got a suggestion to make Benign better, post it here.
davolente
Rattled Rabbit

Hotmail

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 am

Now Hotmail and LIve Mail are capable of being downloaded on a POP basis, is is possible to use Benign, or does the SSLsetting still preclude its use? it does seem a shame if not, as I have the paid-for version of Mailwasher and I have set both my hotmail.co.uk and live.com accounts up and it works fine. I have attempted a manual set-up in B9 and it doesn't seem to work. Out of my six accounts, I only have one "standard" one that goes through B9. I do like the secure feeling that B9 gives, but is there an upgrade in the pipeline for SSL accounts and others, such as IMAP?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Hotmail

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:22 pm

SSL prevents it unfortunately as that's designed to ensure messages are not viewable/altered in transit....which is pretty much exactly what Benign does :)

We intend at some point to take the spam filtering of MailWasher and Benign and merge them into one program, and we will take a look at SSL again then. If I recall it would mean we would have to alter the email program to not use SSL, and that would talk to B9 on the user computer with no encryption....then B9 can talk to the mail server using SSL so the email is still secured when transmitting. Something like that anyway.
davolente
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks for that. I`m on the mailing list for any news, although I have to say that things have been a bit quiet on that front of late. Nothing happening, then? :lol: I suppose there's not a great deal of innovation on a product like Mailwasher that's already about right. If it ain't broke.............
Would be nice if B9 would do its stuff on SSL but I wait with bated breath.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Actually MailWasher is being rewritten from scratch as I type :) ....last couple of years a lot of our software has failed us, not in a broken way, but it takes 3 times as long to get anything done, and developers have been 'fire fighting' a lot over that time, putting in quick fixes or workarounds for either bloated or bad design.

This year will be spent rewriting just about everything....so long as we don't bloat it too much or design things badly we should be in much better shape to maintain things :thumbsup
sam2943
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:36 am

I think if B9 isn't going to be given SSL support, Firetrust should wither point to web pages that explain how to use B9 with stunnel or better they should host the page themselves.

I got the tip off the product comment page (back before the site redesign).

Your mail program makes a POP3 connection B9, B9 makes a POP3 connection to stunnel, stunnel makes an SSL connection to the mail server. Here is my blog post on it, however, when I imported the post the spacing got expanded and it doesn't look well. http://scottmcclenning.blogspot.com/200 ... trust.html I've seen probably two other sites explain the same thing at the time.

Mail Client ---(machine ip:port 110)--->B9---(machine ip:port 1109)--->stunnel---(mail server ip:port 995)--->mail server

Not that Firetrust would support this, but I hope at least Firetrust builds a support page on how to use stunnel with Benign to communicate over SSL.

Return to “Suggestions”