bounce emails

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
52merc
It begins with a single step

bounce emails

Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:42 pm

i have just downloaded mailwasher free after having my puter repaired,however i dont see the bounce part there anymore like my old one had how do i get that back on the screen thanks 52merc
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Re: bounce emails

Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Bouncing doesn't work anymore. Mailwasher bounces to the address in the "from" line, not the originating IP address. You can put any address you want in the "from" line. Since spam filters would block spam quite effectively if spammers used their real addresses, they use someone else's address -- and that innocent person's address will get all the bounces.

Spammers also don't care how many bad addresses are on their lists. They only care how many get past spam filters. So in the unlikely event the spammer is testing addresses and has a real return address, you're just confirming you open your spam. That means the spammer will put your address on a premium list of people who open spam and will charge other spammers extra for it.

Since spammers often use "from" addresses that are the real addresses of people who have reported them, and since spam often simulates bounces the same way MWP does, don't be surprised if your bounces get sent to someone who is going to report them as spam. Since the originating IP is now your computer, you're the one who's going to get your internet service terminated, not the spammer.

So there's a good reason the bounce function is not easy to find, so people understand it's not good for anything except persistant ex-boyfriends.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:11 am

AlphaCentauri wrote:.... So there's a good reason the bounce function is not easy to find, so people understand it's not good for anything except persistant ex-boyfriends.
Ah now there's a good reason to bounce! :)

So as long as the email address is known to be valid (i.e. not a spammer), the bounce function can be useful. ;)
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:19 am

Well as long as your ISP doesn't mind you forging their reserved addresses to outgoing e-mails, mine wasn't amused and offered to close my account if I bounced through their server again.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “General Site”