Bounced Emails Don't Show

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
dah000
It begins with a single step

Bounced Emails Don't Show

Postby dah000 Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 pm

I've tried bouncing emails to my Windows Mail account back to my Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts ... but I never seen anything arriving back at ANY of those web-based email sites. When I go through the bouncing process, everything seems to go just fine but nothing is ever received back at my Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo accounts. I'm just trying to prove that the "Bouncing" actually works.
Thanks
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Bounced Emails Don't Show

Postby stan_qaz Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:38 am

I'll start off with my standard bounce warning

I should warn you, if you send a bounce message the person receiving it could make an effort to get your ISP to shut your net access off. Since you have engaged in e-mail forgery, abuse (read your ISP's AUP on that) of another Internet user and potentially gotten your ISP's server into the spamcop mail rejection database, they have a fair chance.

The problem is that MW sends the bounce message to the address that is put into the e-mail, sadly that is easily forged and well over 90% of the time isn't the one the mail came from. The address the spammer forges is one of someone he wants to have mail-bombed with bogus bounces or something random.

Bottom line, bouncing is unsafe for you, hell for the victim who had their address stolen and it doesn't bother the spammer in the least.

If you want something reasonably safe and very effective try the MW Spamcop.net reporting tool and FirstAlert.

If you want to see more on why your attempt to bounce isn't working enable logging (Help - About) and look at the socket log.

Most likely reason is that your ISPs are detecting the fact that you are forging e-mails with an address reserved for the ISPs admins and are refusing it.

You are far better off not using the bounce feature even to play with.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: Bounced Emails Don't Show

Postby TrustFire Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:47 am

dah000 wrote:I've tried bouncing emails to my Windows Mail account back to my Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts ... but I never seen anything arriving back at ANY of those web-based email sites. When I go through the bouncing process, everything seems to go just fine but nothing is ever received back at my Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo accounts. I'm just trying to prove that the "Bouncing" actually works.
Thanks

Which flavor of MWP are you using - the V6 or the latest 2012?

If you're using the V6 ensure that bounce is enabled.

Edit:
Just tried bouncing to my own Windows Mail, Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo! accounts with no issues whatsoever.
MWP 7 disabled from the cloud (ßeta) | Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) | The Bat! Professional (ßeta) | Windows Firewall Control (WFC) | NOD32 EAV (ßeta) | Intel® HD Graphics 3000 | Internet Connection Speed (D=50 Mb/s U=3.5 Mb/s) | .NET Framework (4.7.1)

Return to “General Site”