Bounced Emails Don't Show

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
dah000
It begins with a single step

Bounced Emails Don't Show

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 pm

I've tried bouncing emails to my Windows Mail account back to my Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts ... but I never seen anything arriving back at ANY of those web-based email sites. When I go through the bouncing process, everything seems to go just fine but nothing is ever received back at my Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo accounts. I'm just trying to prove that the "Bouncing" actually works.
Thanks
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Bounced Emails Don't Show

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:38 am

I'll start off with my standard bounce warning
I should warn you, if you send a bounce message the person receiving it could make an effort to get your ISP to shut your net access off. Since you have engaged in e-mail forgery, abuse (read your ISP's AUP on that) of another Internet user and potentially gotten your ISP's server into the spamcop mail rejection database, they have a fair chance.

The problem is that MW sends the bounce message to the address that is put into the e-mail, sadly that is easily forged and well over 90% of the time isn't the one the mail came from. The address the spammer forges is one of someone he wants to have mail-bombed with bogus bounces or something random.

Bottom line, bouncing is unsafe for you, hell for the victim who had their address stolen and it doesn't bother the spammer in the least.

If you want something reasonably safe and very effective try the MW Spamcop.net reporting tool and FirstAlert.
If you want to see more on why your attempt to bounce isn't working enable logging (Help - About) and look at the socket log.

Most likely reason is that your ISPs are detecting the fact that you are forging e-mails with an address reserved for the ISPs admins and are refusing it.

You are far better off not using the bounce feature even to play with.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:47 am

dah000 wrote:I've tried bouncing emails to my Windows Mail account back to my Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts ... but I never seen anything arriving back at ANY of those web-based email sites. When I go through the bouncing process, everything seems to go just fine but nothing is ever received back at my Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo accounts. I'm just trying to prove that the "Bouncing" actually works.
Thanks
Which flavor of MWP are you using - the V6 or the latest 2012?

If you're using the V6 ensure that bounce is enabled.

Edit:
Just tried bouncing to my own Windows Mail, Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo! accounts with no issues whatsoever.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Aanitanixon
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:01 am

I've attempted to bounce emails from my Windows Mail account back to my Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts, but I've never had any luck with it. Everything appears to go smoothly when I bounce an email, but my Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo accounts never receive anything back. I'm merely attempting to demonstrate that "Bouncing" is effective.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:33 pm

Honestly, bouncing isn't effective anymore. Servers that are configured correctly don't bounce emails that are sent to non-existent addresses -- they just drop them. So I'm not surprised a service like Gmail wouldn't send bounces to your inbox. The vast majority of them won't be emails you have sent, informing you that they didn't arrive. They will be spam that pretends to be bounces.

I don't use MW for bouncing. I use it for its filtering functions, which give me much more control over what I receive than if it left it to the discretion of my email provider.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:33 am

AlphaCentauri wrote:
Honestly, bouncing isn't effective anymore. Servers that are configured correctly don't bounce emails that are sent to non-existent addresses — they just drop them. So I'm not surprised a service like Gmail wouldn't send bounces to your inbox.
Well, bouncing is quite effective, here — I'm referring to my perfectly configured servers on Gmail which have absolutely no issue relaying bounces to various of my other IDs . . . 100% of the time. ;)

AlphaCentauri wrote:
I don't use MW for bouncing.
Bouncing is a useful MailWasher feature which I use regularly — but, only against legitimate Senders . . . never against spammers (obviously.)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Not sure the point of necroing this old thread but I agree with AlphaCentauri.

Bouncing is not effective anymore. Why? We have to remember its purpose. The original purpose of the MWP bounce feature was to get the sender to believe your email address was invalid so they'd remove your email address from their mailing lists and stop sending you more emails.

You certainly can bounce emails but the feature is ineffective because the actual sender most likely will not get the bounced message. And even if the human sender does get the bounce, odds are (unless they know you personally), they will do nothing about it.

The more likely scenario is with spam, the bounce will go to a spoofed sender (not the spammer) - and that's only if their email provider accepts the bounce. As AC, noted, many do not and instead just dump it in the bitbucket.

And besides, spammers are constantly changing the sender's email address anyway.

If the sender is a "legitimate" advertiser, odds are it is not a monitored account so the bounce/reply will be ignored, never seen by a human at all.
have absolutely no issue relaying bounces to various of my other IDs . . . 100% of the time. ;)
Well of course there's no issue. AlphaCentauri didn't say it didn't work. He said it is not effective at stopping emails being sent to you from that address.

So while the bounce feature may indeed bounce back the email, the majority of the time it will not result in no further emails from that sender.

The only real exception is if you are trying stop your ex-spouse from hounding you for money - but even then it assumes their ISP does not just dump it.

So bouncing really only is effective for (1) people who know you personally, (2) use a legitimate (not spoofed) return address, and (3) whose ISP accepts bounced messages.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:53 pm

Digerati wrote:
TrustFire wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:33 am
have absolutely no issue relaying bounces to various of my other IDs . . . 100% of the time. ;)
He said it is not effective at stopping emails being sent to you from that address.
Nope, he said nothing of that sort — you seem to have gotten yourself confused.

Can you quote the part where he's supposed to have said, "it is not effective at stopping emails being sent to you from that address."

Digerati wrote:
So while the bounce feature may indeed bounce back the email, the majority of the time it will not result in no further emails from that sender.
The intention of bouncing back an e-mail from legitimate Senders is never . . . for the result of — "no further emails from that sender."

The intention of bouncing back an e-mail from legitimate Senders is to indicate to such Senders that their sent mail was never received . . . in the first place. ;)

Digerati wrote:
The only real exception is if you are trying stop your ex-spouse from hounding you for money - but even then it assumes their ISP does not just dump it.
Nah, nah ... there are many, many more exceptions — just citing a few examples of legitimate Senders:—
  • present spouse
  • future spouse(s)
  • ex-mistress(es)
  • present mistress(es)
  • future mistress(es)
  • boss(es)
  • employee(s)
  • colleague(s)
  • friend(s)
  • <insert here anyone else who validates the term — legitimate Senders>

Digerati wrote:
So bouncing really only is effective for (1) people who know you personally, (2) use a legitimate (not spoofed) return address, and (3) whose ISP accepts bounced messages.
Yeah, there . . . you get it — this is what I've been trying to emphasize.

Bouncing is a very useful MailWasher feature which is very effective, for me because:—
  1. I use it only against legitimate Senders (regardless of whether they "know me personally" . . . or not,) and
  2. None of my (Gmail or non-Gmail) e-mail accounts fail to relay or "drop" MailWasher bounces — have mentioned this more than 11 years ago (on my first response of this topic) and bouncing continues its winning streak . . . to this day.

ps:—
There's a very compelling reason why the term legitimate Senders was underlined . . . on my previous post. ;)
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Mon May 01, 2023 2:20 am

I paraphrased, implied and inferred, just as you did.

You made a point in your reply to AC that "your" bounces from "your" legitimate accounts to "your" other legitimate accounts, successfully bounce with "absolutely no issues". Do you really believe he was referring to that scenario in his comment?

I would hope you can see that your scenario is the exception since MailWasher's core purpose is about dealing with "spam" messages. I have to assume your own emails sent to yourself would not be considered as spam - at least not to you.

If that is not understood then it is not me confused here.
Nah, nah ... there are many, many more exceptions
:( Oh come-on. This is just being argumentative again. You know I used "ex-spouse" to illustrate the point. Was it really necessary for me to have left out "only"? Or to instead add "and the like" for you to understand the point?

Of course it could be an ex-friend or another of your pedantic examples. The point clearly was, it would be for a sender you already had a personal connection with.

So once again, the point remains the same. Sure, the bounce feature in MailWasher "functions" - that is, it will send (or at least attempt to send) the email back to the return address listed in the header. But is that "effective" at stopping future "spam" messages? No.

Equally ineffective would be continuing this necroed topic. So I will do my part to let it return back to the depths of dead topics from which it was dredged up.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Mon May 01, 2023 6:43 am

Digerati wrote:
You made a point in your reply to AC that "your" bounces from "your" legitimate accounts to "your" other legitimate accounts, successfully bounce with "absolutely no issues". Do you really believe he was referring to that scenario in his comment?
Of course . . . yes!

In his response to Aanitanixon . . . AlphaCentauri missed the point that Aanitanixon was actually reporting a failure of his bouncing with "his" own legitimate Windows Mail account against "his" own other legitimate accounts namely . . . Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo.

AlphaCentauri presumed that Aanitanixon was referring to bouncing against spam . . . whereas Aanitanixon was bouncing against "his" own legitimate e-mail accounts.

Digerati wrote:
I paraphrased, implied and inferred, just as you did
No, not really — you, too . . . completely missed the point just as AlphaCentauri did.

Whenever anyone utters the word "bounce", you guys pounce on that person and unnecessarily pigeonhole bouncing with spam. :facepalm

Digerati wrote:
I would hope you can see that your scenario is the exception since MailWasher's core purpose is about dealing with "spam" messages. I have to assume your own emails sent to yourself would not be considered as spam - at least not to you.
If that is not understood then it is not me confused here.
Sure . . . MailWasher's core purpose might be dealing with spam messages — but then, what's our core purpose . . . as accomplished & hardened βeta-testers, are we the slaves or the Masters? Do you indeed restrict yourself to the core purpose for which Developers code-write their programs (not limited to Firetrust & MailWasher?)

You're the one who is clearly confused . . . why do you insist on compartmentalizing bouncing with spam — it can easily be employed for a more innovative purpose . . . unless you prefer to slave it out. :facepalm

Digerati wrote:
The point clearly was, it would be for a sender you already had a personal connection with.
Nope — for what do you need this "connection" . . . do we wanna marry that Sender??? :devil

There's no need really, for any prior connection with a Sender . . . s/he can even be an enemy, for crying-out aloud (so long as s/he meets all criteria for being flagged as a legitimate Sender — now . . . that was the whole point.)

Digerati wrote:
So once again, the point remains the same. Sure, the bounce feature in MailWasher "functions" - that is, it will send (or at least attempt to send) the email back to the return address listed in the header. But is that "effective" at stopping future "spam" messages? No.
There you go . . . again!

Can't you just stop pigeonholing bouncing with spam — there's no correlation between those two. :facepalm
gingbat
Least Evil Firetrust Employee

Mon May 01, 2023 10:06 am

hey guys, how about we get back to the problem........

Regardless of what you use bouncing for, it should work as long as the email account provider allows it....

However.... there is an issue with both restoring emails and bouncing mail for Hotmail and Yahoo accounts we are working on, seems that if using OAUTH for these the connection to the server fails.... it's resolved for Yahoo accounts in the latest beta, but not for Hotmail ones yet.

Bounce should still work fine for Gmail though, check your settings look like the below screenshot:
download.png
download.png (31.34 KiB) Viewed 8487 times
If no better, check and/or post your "MWPapp_Restore.log" file which is in the Help>>User Files>>Logs folder, it should tell us what's going on.

(if you post inline, ensure you XXX out any personal data including email addresses).
radar
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:01 am

gingbat wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 10:06 am

However.... there is an issue with both restoring emails and bouncing mail for Hotmail and Yahoo accounts we are working on, seems that if using OAUTH for these the connection to the server fails.... it's resolved for Yahoo accounts in the latest beta, but not for Hotmail ones yet.

Bounce should still work fine for Gmail though, check your settings look like the below screenshot:
I'm unclear about what has been fixed for Yahoo in the Beta.

Is it?:
1. The connection to the server when using OAUTH
2, Bounce for Yahoo.
3. Both.

I am connecting to a Yahoo account using OAUTH without any issues but 'bounce' is still not working.
Should it be or are you still working on that for Yahoo?
gingbat

Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:41 am

Yes, OAUTH usually works fine, but still some issues to iron out, bounce should work if the Yahoo server allows it (wont know without the logs though).

So if still bounce issues, post your log as below...

If no better, check and/or post your "MWPapp_Bounce.log" file which is in the Help>>User Files>>Logs folder, it should tell us what's going on.
(if you post inline, ensure you XXX out any personal data including email addresses).
radar
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. The 'MWPapp_Bounce.log' file doesn't contain much information but this is what is in it for yesterday (the day I started the 3-day trial).

*********************************************************************************************
Firetrust Mailwasher 2010 version: 843 Created 06-27-2023
*********************************************************************************************
06-27-2023 13:01:48.405 Info SEND EMAIL FROM

I did not edit this file. So, the spaces following 'SEND EMAIL FROM' is what is in the file.

I have also attached the 'MWPapi.log' file which shows that a bounce attempt was made - but that was not reflected in the bounce log. I have edited this file to change the email addresses etc.

Thanks.
Attachments
MWPapi.log
(292.59 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
gingbat

Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:27 pm

Great, thanks for those, and yes, according to that log the bounce did work and was sent, note that if the bounce log itself is nearly empty like it was, that usually means it was successful also....

The part below from your log shows the bounce was sent OK without errors, if the recipient did not get any bounced email, that can only mean that either the Yahoo mail server accepts the bounce, then refuses to send it on, or it is blocked on the recipients end... in both cases, there is not really much we can do about this sorry....!

06-27-2023 13:01:47.847 MWPUI Building bounce email
06-27-2023 13:01:47.847 MWPUI Send to: XX <'xxxx'@yahoo.com>
06-27-2023 13:01:47.848 MWPUI Received date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 13:00:57 +0200
06-27-2023 13:01:47.851 MWPUI Recipient address:
06-27-2023 13:01:47.851 MWPUI Account address: 'xxxxxxx'@yahoo.com
06-27-2023 13:01:47.851 MWPUI Domain: yahoo.com
06-27-2023 13:01:47.851 MWPUI DNS found:
06-27-2023 13:01:47.853 MWPUI Number of messages to delete: 0
06-27-2023 13:01:47.853 MWPUI Number of messages to bounce: 1
06-27-2023 13:01:47.855 MWPUI Starting wash mail icon thread
06-27-2023 13:01:47.855 MWPUI Wash mail thread started
06-27-2023 13:01:47.856 MWPUI Waiting for deletes to finish