[Bugs + Suggestions]: "The NEW Board Upgrade"

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: [Bugs + Suggestions]: "The NEW Board Upgrade"

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:48 am

Resolved the issue of link color — sample at this post:—
Resolution_Of_Link_Color_Problem.png
Resolution_Of_Link_Color_Problem.png (341.23 KiB) Viewed 8930 times
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:54 am

rusticdog wrote:
QuietOne wrote:Two other problems, or differences, I've already noted:

(1) The "New Post" Icon does absolutely NOTHING unlike the old one did. The old one took you to the Oldest Unread post but this one just sits there and looks stupid! (i.e. Dumb!) It would be much better if it acted in the same manner as the old one did.

(2) Even when the user clicks on the Thread Title, it doesn't take the user to the oldest unread post (which the old forum s/w didn't do either, but ...), so the user ends up having to scroll all the way through the thread to find the last stuff htey hadn't yet read. :facepalm :facepalm :rant :help Alternatively, if #1 is fixed then this one (#2) is fine.
It's not very clear right now, but in your screenshot you'll see the arrow pointing right, that's the new post link. Definitely needs improvement.
Have also noticed a difference in behavior between the Main Forum Page Forum Icons and the Thread Icons on the Beta testing Forum (see SC's).

MAIN FORUM PAGE:
MainForumPage.png
MainForumPage.png (30.84 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
BETA FORUM PAGE:
BetaTestingForumThreads.png
BetaTestingForumThreads.png (63.76 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:57 am

TrustFire wrote:
QuietOne wrote:
  • Problems.png
You mean a darker text such as the following:— :devil

Faint_Color_Issue.png
Yes, Darker is BETTER (and NOT Just Bolded) but also get away from JUST GRAY (in color)! (i.e. Gray on White background) :facepalm :facepalm
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:04 am

TrustFire wrote:Divided the Board post and signature with a subtle touch:—

Post_&_Signature_Separator.png
Would also help to divide the Post "Text Body" from the "Quoted Text" and also from the "Signature" as well. (i.e. Such as using a Horizontal Rule or something else of that nature etc.)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: [Bugs + Suggestions]: "The NEW Board Upgrade

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:06 am

QuietOne wrote:Please don't design things that rely ONLY on a touchscreen as some of us don't have them and REQUIRE mice! :devil
I hang out in the IPB community and these Developers are in no tearing hurry to accord priority to touchscreen. ;)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:17 am

Again I want to stress a few things about the New Forum ...

(1) The use of ALL Gray Text, whether normal or bolded, is a REAL PITA! (put some color into the page W/O REQUIRING the User to do it via choosing various colors for differing portions of their posts) :rant :crazy :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

(2) Additionally, Gray Text on a White Background is damn hard to READ! (not enough CONTRAST) :help :help

(3) And lastly,
whichever font family is used for the text, please pick one that is a heavier typeface than simply a hairline
[/b]. Thin font faces are beyond aggro!!!! :rant :rant :rant :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :bs :facepalm
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:18 am

QO check out this segregation (it's a screenshot of your own post):—
Division_Between_Quoted-post_Text-body_&_Signature.png
Division_Between_Quoted-post_Text-body_&_Signature.png (133.52 KiB) Viewed 8924 times
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: [Bugs + Suggestions]: "The NEW Board Upgrade

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:23 am

TrustFire wrote:
QuietOne wrote:Please don't design things that rely ONLY on a touchscreen as some of us don't have them and REQUIRE mice! :devil
I hang out in the IPB community and these Developers are in no tearing hurry to accord priority to touchscreen. ;)
:grouphug :grouphug

The above said, I certainly don't mind incorporating touchscreen functionality into a website/software program/device just as long as the older functionalities (mice/touchpads/etc) aren't turned into legacies. :thumbsup :thumbsup
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 am

TrustFire wrote:QO check out this segregation (it's a screenshot of your own post):—

Division_Between_Quoted-post_Text-body_&_Signature.png
That's much better :thumbsup but I think could STILL be improved some, as follows ...

Take notice of how much vertical real estate is taken up by the Signature. It's almost as if the Signature was a far more important portion of the post than it really should be.

i.e. :idea: :idea:
(#1) Too Much Whitespace Between the Lines of Text (i.e. Too much Leading); and/or
(#2) Maybe the Font Size (of the Signature) could also be reduced by 1-2 points so it's less prominent).
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:42 am

QuietOne wrote: (#1) Too Much Whitespace Between the Lines of Text (i.e. Too much Leading);
Screenshot? :scratch

QuietOne wrote: (#2) Maybe the Font Size (of the Signature) could also be reduced by 1-2 points so it's less prominent).
You can change the size (yourself,) under your User Control panel (check out my signature.) ;)
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:22 am

TrustFire wrote:
QuietOne wrote: (#1) Too Much Whitespace Between the Lines of Text (i.e. Too much Leading);
Why???? Just look at the whitespace between the lines of text in the Signatures (plural and not just mine but everybody's).

"Leading" is the term/name typographers use for the whitespace between lines of text. The "Leading" is divided into separate components:
  • 1) The part from the TOP of the LINE OF TYPE (the top-most portion of the space allocated for a line of text) to the TOP-most EDGE of the FONT TEXT; and
  • 2) The part from the BOTTOM-most EDGE of the FONT TEXT to the BOTTOM of the LINE OF TYPE (the bottom-most portion of the space allocated for a line of text); where
  • 3) The LINE HEIGHT is equal to the TOTAL of:
    • 3A) #1 above;
    • 3B) The VERTICAL HEIGHT of the Font itself; and
    • 3C) #2 above.
TrustFire wrote:
QuietOne wrote: (#2) Maybe the Font Size (of the Signature) could also be reduced by 1-2 points so it's less prominent).
You can change the size (yourself,) under your User Control panel (check out my signature.) ;)
Yeah I can ... For My Own Signature, but I can't change it for EVERYBODY's. :nono

It's too prominent for every post in the forums. It's as if it possessed as much importance ans the post itself, which it doesn't and/or shouldn't.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:48 am

QuietOne wrote:
TrustFire wrote:
Why????
As you might have already noticed, my browser has been extensively modded to neutralize the many quirks & bugs on the Board . . . . . . . . . . . . . moreover, I'm running many global scripts to synchronize dozens of other sites, to my own taste — without your screenshot, I won't have the foggiest idea of what you are referring to. :facepalm

QuietOne wrote:
TrustFire wrote:
Yeah I can ... For My Own Signature, but I can't change it for EVERYBODY's. :nono
Depending on one's HTML skills — why not? :scratch

Wanna see a demonstration of me — changing the font-size of your signature on my system? :devil
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:18 am

TrustFire wrote:
QuietOne wrote:
TrustFire wrote:
Why????
As you might have already noticed, my browser has been extensively modded to neutralize the many quirks & bugs on the Board . . . . . . . . . . . . . moreover, I'm running many global scripts to synchronize dozens of other sites, to my own taste — without your screenshot, I won't have the foggiest idea of what you are referring to. :facepalm
OK, now I have a better understanding of why you asked. Thanks and Sorry about the confusion. :bow :bow

Here a couple SC's.

One of YOUR Posts:
TFsSigTFsPost.png
TFsSigTFsPost.png (135.1 KiB) Viewed 8905 times
One of MY Posts:
MySigMyPost.png
MySigMyPost.png (152.18 KiB) Viewed 8905 times
TrustFire wrote:
QuietOne wrote:
TrustFire wrote:
Depending on one's HTML skills — why not? :scratch

Wanna see a demonstration of me — changing the font-size of your signature on my system? :devil
No, I don't need a demo :nono as I'm sure your HTML skills are better than mine, especially since I'm retired. Ahem, I don't put in the classroom (continuing ed.) time I suspect you do since you're still working. :facepalm :devil And besides that, there are many Forum contributors besides US on the Beta Team, who I'm also certain don't have your HTML skills.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:28 am

QuietOne wrote:OK, now I have a better understanding of why you asked. Thanks and Sorry about the confusion. :bow :bow
Apologies not needed, QO. :)

I see what you mean — those white spaces are killing my eyes. :yuck
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:40 am

Here are some more issues with the white areas — this time, on the Notification Pop-up:—
Issues_With_The_Notifications.png
Issues_With_The_Notifications.png (419.06 KiB) Viewed 8904 times

Return to “General Site”