Page 1 of 1

Notification madness

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 am
by schnief
Image
I can't. No matter what I do, they're checked. :help
Image

Re: Notification madness

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:54 am
by TrustFire
schnief wrote:Image
I can't. No matter what I do, they're checked. :help
It can be un-checked — but, after the Submit button is clicked and the page reloads, it reverts to checked.
Notification_Type.png
Notification_Type.png (99.75 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
[/center]

schnief wrote:I can't. No matter what I do, they're checked. :help
Image
The Notifications are getting marked read, for me — the tick mark remains, though (that's because it's a part of the Heading text and shall therefore remain checked.)
Notifications_Marked_Read__(Pop-up).png
Notifications_Marked_Read__(Pop-up).png (80.86 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
[/center]

Re: Notification madness

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:45 am
by schnief
TrustFire wrote: ...It can be un-checked — but, after the Submit button is clicked and the page reloads, it reverts to checked.
Yep, ...
http://www.edu-net.net/media/Navi.mp4 (no sound)
TrustFire wrote:The Notifications are getting marked read, for me — the tick mark remains, though (that's because it's a part of the Heading text and shall therefore remain checked.)
OK, but it appears to be eye candy. I mean, after they've been read, what are they good for? It should be possible to delete them.

And don't they ultimately take up a lot of server storage somewhere? After all, we're talking about a plethora of notifications from numerous forum members.

Addendum: The notifications don't get deleted even when you unsubscribe from the topic.

Re: Notification madness

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:06 pm
by rusticdog
From what I can tell, the server keeps notifications for 30 days. I can reduce that if desired ?

You're right about not being able to disable, looks like a bug that PHPBB3 aren't in a hurry to fix.

Re: Notification madness

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:59 pm
by TrustFire
They actually insist that the new Notification implementation is by design and a feature of the new forum Board. :thumbsdown

BTW, seeing it on the OP after a long time — the old (gray) forum theme looks gross. :devil